Sweet Spot @ Marina Bay Sands Hotel

These splashes of colourful bulbs still catch the eye no matter where I go, tempt-tease and I succumb like a hapless soul. Flavours were obviously running out in the late afternoon, despite being located right at the end of the hotel.



A box of 6 accompanied me on the way out, totally overthrowing the notion that beauty products are a woman's weakest link. Desserts are, far detrimental.



It is unfortunate and definite that I should never ever compare them with the Lord of Macarons. So I should not and did not, however I'll see how they face up against Jewels, our local best.



Wasabi

The first flavour that caught the eye. Ever since Salted Egg Custard by Jewels and definitely not forgetting the ingenuity of Pierre Herme, I am more open to daring flavours. Very very very faint hint of wasabi, the fillings were more jam-like in consistency.



Pistachio

The density made this richer than naught.

Lemon

This had a jellied-lemon filling as opposed to paste-like of the rest. 

Apricot

None too impressionable.

Raspberry,
Chocolate Raspberry

Chocolate had to be its most decent.


Peanut Butter Jelly

The filling was a thick and grainy peanut paste that was rich though thankfully not cloying.



The sugar shells were too sweet and crumbly, not a fan of that. Overall, felt it was a mediocre attempt at the french favourite. On the way out, I was tempted by the individual cakes...and of course I returned for a second visit.



Rum and Raisin White Chocolate Cheesecake ($8.80) was recommended over Carrot cake which was described as "not sweet" and "ordinary carrot cake" by the counter lady. I must have missed K Ki's Antoinette so much, I was hoping for the equivalent satisfaction.



Shaped like a dome, I exerted a lil too much pressure and smashed my poor cake with a forceful jab. Coated with a white chocolate shell, the inner cheesecake mousse was bland, barely sweet in fact. It had a milky finish that got a tad cloying towards the end, spongecake was light and raisins were hardly soaked in rum.



The main draw of this cake was the raisin juice which had a slight rum aftertaste. I declare this - one that looks better than it tastes.

Sweet Spot I found none here, have to garner enough guts for a return.

Macarons are $2.50/pc or 6 for $12 in a box.
Cakes from $6.

Sweet Spot
Marina Bay Sands

Comments

  1. Save for the green tea macaron which was good (pistachio was not too bad), I wasn't at all impressed with SweetSpot. The cakes especially, are really just very mediocre. Not enticed to revisit at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard that they have renovated shortly after my visit in June, are there seating areas in Sweetspot?

    Finally, someone shared the same sentiments as me when it comes to the Sweetspot's macarons. I know of one blogger who quoted me on twitter saying

    "this review here like say the macarons not good : http://www.sgdessert.com/2010/06/sweetspot-marina-bay-sands.html"

    "the only macaron we tried at sweetspot was lemongrass coconut and it was SO GOOD. where did the "too sweet and crumbly" come from?"

    I was debating whether did I make a mistake but was reluctant to go back...

    Come to think about it, I was quite curious about Sweetspot's Chocolate Paradigm and Carrot Muscovado Cake, considering the publicity those have received. But after factoring in the inconvenience to go there and that there are more interesting mooncakes within my reach... Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ ice: macarons didn't work, neither did the cakes. Mediocre cakes could be an understatement. :P

    @ fen: Yep, they've got bar seats now though a handful..it's not quite made for sitting, more of takeaway. I wonder why that arrangement srsly, given that it's a patisserie in a hotel.

    heh, absolutely! got me scratching my head with all the raving reviews and I beg to differ. oh-oh, why can't people get taste in subjective?

    same here! wanted to try carrot muscovado..but since the lady said it's "ordinary", I doubt I'd go all the way there just for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment