A Macaron Trail: Pierre Herme @ Galeries Lafayette, Paris

Since this is the most highly regarded (next to Laduree, of course) in the eyes of Parisians and proably most of the visitors of Paris...I shall do a lil' intro about Pierre Herme.

Wiki says...

Heir to four generations of Alsatian bakery and pastry-making tradition, Pierre Hermé began his career at the age of 14 as an apprentice to Gaston Lenotre. He was once working for Fauchon but left in 1996 to open Pierre Herme Paris with Charles Znaty. Apart from Paris, Pierre Herme has outlets in Tokyo as well.



Finding this was no joke. Well hidden in Galeries Lafayette as sources had pointed to it being located at the Homme side but in reality, it was housed in the other building connected by bridge. The exact location of this? Right in the basement next to the sinful shoe department.

P.H. gleamed under the cosy lighting, I think I struck gold when I spied it from afar. 


What's Pierre Herme without a queue, I'd be surprised if there wasn't one. I was stopped right there when I raised my camera to snap more. This outlet unfortunately only sells macarons and chocolates so naturally and true enough everyone was there for the signature.


Comes in boxes of 7, 12, 16, 20 and 35...I must have scared the daylights out of the sis with a swift reply of "I'll take the box".

12 colourful pieces snugly packed in a cylindrical box. Pity the flavours available that day were limited to 11. Looking at the pictures make me smile like an idiot, still.

Outwardly, these are plumper than Laduree's...and larger than those that I have attempted in Paris. 


Fragola  (cream with brown sugar dusting)
Fraise, Vinaigre, Balsamique

Eden
Peche, Abricot, Safran


Plump babies.

Rose
Rose, Petales de Rose

Pistache

Mosiac
Pistache; Griottine


Trying to artistically bite into them.

Citron

Mogador
Chocolat au Lait, Fruit de la Passion

Jasmin
Fluer de Jasmin, The au Jasmin

These were eaten across a span of 3 days.

First day

Soft shells with fillings with a mush consistency. Too sweet I felt. Disappointment seeped in when half the world applauds this, I thought it was yet another overhype.

Second day

Strangely better.

Third day

Very convinced why Pierre Herme is a genius.

The shells were crisp though not chewy like Paul's, the fillings were not chewy like McCafe's either...Pierre Herme macarons fillings are creamier and richer than any I have ever eaten. For traditional flavours (Citron, Pistachio, Rose) , they can be distinctly tasted. Flavours are so complimentary, I have to give props to that guy and his kitchen for such daring experiments with the flavours. Only he would dare experiment with such audacity and yes! I'm a huge fan.  Who would ever think that balsamic would go with dessert? The multitude of flavours that explode is truly....gratifying.

Perhaps it is unfair to Laduree's when I polished them off in one seating as compared to spreading it out like Pierre Hermes. Of the two, Laduree's is sweeter and offers the more traditional flavours whilst Pierre Herme explores beyond and tantalizes.

I wish I had the same kind of audacity to say "35 pieces please". Now will someone fly me to Tokyo in a jiffy?

http://www.pierreherme.com

1.95 € per piece, 24 € per box of 12.

Pierre Herme
Galaries Lafayette, B1.
40 Boulevard Haussman
75009 Paris

Comments

  1. if u didnt want the box u could have saved 60c..hahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12? I take 35 pieces in a heartbeat!

    Fragola looks swoons...

    ReplyDelete
  3. odd... mine were perfect on the first day. and haha i had 9 macarons for supper and 7 macarons along with my breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ lorraine: you're much nearer to them now! :P

    @ bh: you didn't say so!

    @ ice: if only they had more flavours I would have!!! *dreams*

    @ stargirl: strange too right! I was a mad macaron chugging machine in the few days in Paris... :x don't we both wish we're still in ldn/paris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You didn't try their White Truffle Hazelnut flavour? They don't have this flavour in Tokyo, only Paris.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh, they didnt have that much of a variety when I was there...unfortunately! would have died to try white truffle!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment