Afterglow @ Keong Siak




Vegan food and I are...frienemies. I've had a number of delicious vegan meals and pretty bad ones too. Afterglow stands out for offering such healthy eats along a stretch that indulges in vices, literally. Previously a red light district turned enclave for bars and now a melting pot of the past and present all in a single street. The older folk and Michelin Star gazers would take more comfort in the likes of Kok Sen and Foong Kee, the hipsters would perhaps find love at Don Ho and Muchachos and then comes Afterglow going completely clean.

Granted vegan food is real food, it's just not having any form of animal products in their dishes and like vegetarian food, it can be restrictive for the hardcore carnivores.




Zucchini Linguine with Walnut 'Meat'-Balls ($20)
Spiralized Zucchini, Dehydrated Cherry Tomato Sauce, Almond Crumble "Cheese", Walnut, Shitake and Dates "Meatballs"

I love my pastas with a vengeance and Italy remains my favourite city for food so this can go two ways - either convert me to a vegan fan or shoo me back into the arms of the real stuff.

Served chilled, the outlook already surprised me. Refreshing like yusheng except this was alot more wholesome with plenty of ingredients that were supposed to resemble the real deal. I actually fell for the almond crumble "cheese" thinking that it was grated parmesan.

The meatballs nearly fooled me too with their uncanny semblance and taste to the real meat balls, I'd say these come close to lentil meatballs. 



Quinoa and Spinach 'Hash Brown' Burger ($20)
Romaine Lettuce as bun, Quinoa, Spinach, Goat Cheese, Rolled Oats, Cashew Cheese Sauce, Bell Pepper Sweet Sauce, Baked Sweet Potato Wedges, Coleslaw

Ladies portion for a burger, and a skinnier version of MOS' vegetable burgers. Literally sandwiched between two lettuce leaves is a equally skinny spinach and goat cheese patty. I'm sold on baked sweet potato fries and pickled coleslaw but the burger missed out on the heartyness of one.



The great thing about Afterglow is the food is almost guiltlless, none of the cloying distaste that I experienced before. Infact, the only downside to eating so clean was, I ended up satisfied but not full. Tea break happened a tad earlier.

Afterglow
24 Keong Saik Rd

Comments