Portico Revisted @ Alexandra Road


DSC_0189

I have lost count of my visits to Portico and this time, I finally had a chance to say hi to Chef Nixon, the man behind all the delicious creations.

DSC_0163

Luncheon Meat Fries
Yuzu Mayo

Luncheon meat and I go back a long way and it is one of those canned food that I can never tire of, regardless the frequency. Bad food this is but who can ever resist these crispy savoury bites...and throw it a creamy dip, I am sold. 

DSC_0165

Portico Chicken Wings
Lime Aioli Dip

These signature chicken wings would give IKEA's a run for their money, juicy and so good. This is one of my favourite bar foods, not too dry and so addictive!

DSC_0166

Truffle Fries
Truffle dip

These were on the oily side this time but still on my list of favourite truffle fries.

DSC_0169

Bisque of Lobster
Butter brioche, whole tiger prawn

Mushroom soup wowed with its earthy tones and creaminess but this bisque fell short of expectations. It tasted very light, without any trace of the lobster origins, more like prawn broth.

DSC_0179

White Asparagus Risotto ($26)

This caught us by surprise since Chef Nixon promised to put together something special for us - white asparagus the seasonal vegetable that is known for its succulence and sweetness. This was a dish that was very subdued, pleasant and hearty.

DSC_0181

A soft poached egg seems to be the answer for that unmistakenable milky texture with every bite of risotto.

DSC_0176

Confit of Chicken
Maple scented sweet potato puree, braised purple cabbage, spiced chicken jus

I would have preferred duck over chicken, this was too tender and came across as just roast chicken.

DSC_0173

1855 Black Angus Ribeye

They do really decent steaks and I was glad it was consistently good.

DSC_0172

Pan-seared Pulau Ubin Sea Bass
Roasted new potatoes, garden herbed beurre blanc sauce

DSC_0170

Pulau Ubin Sea Bass Fish and Chips
Curly fries, homemade apple and fennel coleslaw

Of the two, I say stick with the fish and chips. There are so many surprises on a single board, tangy salad, crispy and so very satisfying chunky sea bass fillets and those curly fries. Fried food heaven indeed.

Brunch, lunch or dinner, Portico has never failed us. This place is definitely on my list of regular haunts.

Portico 
Alexandra

Comments