K Ki @ Ann Siang Hill 2

Lust

–noun

A passionate or overmastering desire or craving

Lust, like a lecherous old man was what I had for K Ki after the accidental meet. The second failed attempt did nothing but fuel the desire. "Sold Out." were the two most dreaded words. Crest fallen was what I felt.

Mont Blanc. Strawberry Tart. Pumpkin Pudding. Sables. These ran strong in the mind, fleeting images...like a drug addict, I was having withdrawal symptoms.

The third attempt would have been perfect had it not been for the pumpkins and strawberries that did not meet Kenneth's expectations.



Antoinette ($8)

Still a favourite of mine. 'Nuff said.

Cheese Souffle ($5.50)

As compared to the others, this paled with such lightness in taste. I stay firm with my verdict of this light hearted dessert.



Kinabaru ($8)
Hazelnut Chocolate sponge, passionfruit cream, coconut mousse

Dandelion yellow is visualing very pleasing. Mousse, mousse, mousse is what K Ki does best. The zesty layers piled with much precision on top the slightly soggy hazelnut chocolate sponge.



Mont Blanc ($8.50)
Chestnut swirls, Génoise sponge , chopped chestnuts, whipped cream

To me, Mont Blancs are works of art. K Ki does a mean job out of this otherwise, subtle dessert. Layer after layer I unveil the works, dense chestnut paste delicately swirled around a plateau of Génoise sponge (the same as Strawberry Shortcake), whipped cream and chopped chestnuts.



Somehow, still not a fan of Génoise sponge for the roughness.



Chocolate for Valentine's Day
Liquor, Dark Cacao

Kenneth generously shared his valentine's chocolates with us. Verdict: The chocoaddict binged on all three very shamelessly and declared them bittersweet with a lethal shot of alcohol.



Assorted Sables ($12.50/pack)

Hazelnut, Coconut, Parmesan

Just to sidetrack, the way these were packaged made me extra careful handling them. Utter cute-sy.



Petite cookies that resembled cross sections of trunks, somehow. Kenneth offered parmesan sables to taste, savoury cheesy dense cookies.



The sugar crusted sides gave the cookies the crunch whilst the rest of it disintegrated within bites. Coconut was more crumbly than Hazelnut Chocolate.



Hazelnut Chocolate had a certain richness about it, the wholesome hazelnuts and slight bitter chocolate..scrumylicious.

The lingering milky aftertaste its mousse leaves is pure ecstacy. Once charmed, twice bewitched...thrice an obsession? Pumpkin pudding after CNY, or so Kenneth promised. You'd be sure I'll be back. Never have I been so head over heels over a particular pattisserie, K Ki has won my heart and allegiance I've sworn. I guess the warmth of Kenneth and Delphine is what differentiates K Ki from the rest, sincere and nice people they are. I hope K Ki stays that way, a place offering cakes with unpretentious earnest personal touch.

K Ki
Ann Siang Hill

Comments

  1. Awesome post! Happy Lunar New Year Phoebe and Chloe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love how warm and polite the owners were too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help! (: (:

    Hey Phoebe, go for their mousse cakes next time, Kenneth uses génoise for his sponge bases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @harris: :) thanks!

    @stargirl: yessss...hope they stay that way!

    @ice: hee..yep, looks like their sponge cakes are consistently genoise. :( Looking forward to the pumpkin pudding and strawberry tart..and hopefully newer additions!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. phoebe, I hope my rave won't leave you with very high expectations of the strawberry tart coz I'm afraid you'd come away disappointed if you are not wowed by it. (I see you didn't really like Mont Blanc though I did mention it was a very good one.)

    There's nothing fanciful about the strawberry tart. It's really very simple: tart base, a little dollop of vanilla bean custard & strawberries, that's it. I love tarts & I'm very particular about them. For me, the foundation of a good tart is in its tart base & I do think Kenneth does an excellent job here. Most bakeries take the short way out & use either shortcrust or merely pâte sucrée (sweet tart dough) but he goes one step further & use sable breton-almond for his tart base. That's the winning element of his strawberry tart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. not to worry ice, I'm more of a tart person. :) It's just the genoise sponge that doesn't please me, that being said k ki's mont blancs are considerably better than those that I've attempted. sometimes, simplicity overrules any other complicated dessert.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment