Ki-sho Revisited @ Scotts Road

DSC_9619

Our annual valentine's day tradition has been Japanese for a number of years now and I half suspected Hubba would book Ki-sho when he hinted at something tried, tested and good. The last visit was not too long ago in December and I guess with seasons not changing yet meant, the ingredients used were similar and I was still looking forward to what Chef Kazu could bring to the table.

DSC_9518

Hi Chef Kazu!

DSC_9521

DSC_9531

Great to see you again!

DSC_9523


We kickstarted this gastronomical feast with their signature uni caviar dish. Always so good, so classic and so pampered.

DSC_9529

Would you like a mouthful of heaven?

DSC_9519


Since it was Valentine's, I had a choice of complimentary champangne, sparkling sake or premium Kyoto tea and I had to go with sparkling sake - cause Japanese.

DSC_9537

A whole trayful of firefly squids got me so excited.

DSC_9534

Ice Fish, Firefly Squid, Ikura, Bamboo Shoot

DSC_9538

So many textures, the firefly squid unlike the ika or octopus is tender, sweet and so cute!

DSC_9540

Abalone, Kyushu

DSC_9543

Chef Kazu definitely spoiled us here, I wish I could say fresh abalones from this day forward - there's some serious tender loving going on here. I could eat freshly shucked abalones for the rest of forever, almost zero resistance and having it sashimi has to be the tastiest, ever. 6 hours pure sake steamed and I was so sold.

DSC_9593

Plates and plates of freshest catch. I wish I had seconds.

DSC_9546

Aged Fugu Sashimi, Horse Mackerel, Otaimi, Kinki, 3 types of tuna (red, medium fatty and chuturo)

DSC_9552

DSC_9555

Sashimi at Ki-sho is never an ordinary affair - once again pampered with the rare and prized.

DSC_9563

Kegani, Kani Miso


DSC_9566

Yet another December treat with sweet crabs and gold speckled crabmeat roe sauce. SO GOOOD.

DSC_9557

Kinki Sakamushi

DSC_9559

Instead of the usual steamed egg custard dish, this was kinki fish with puffer fish sperm.

DSC_9560

This winter special makes a reappearance, and it's still so comforting and tasty.

DSC_9569

Aburi Aged Wild Caught Blue Fin Otoro Sushi


DSC_9584

Chef's Signature Hida Wagyu Sukiyaki, Truffles, Uni, Home Cured Organic Egg Yolk

DSC_9586


DSC_9590

Slurp, slurp, slurp. Nothing quite beats wagyu, freshly shaved truffles and uni. But at Ki-sho, nothing is impossible nor is the best (Every meal brings me new bests).

 DSC_9597


Premium Uni and Ikura Rice

Move over uni don, this is it.

DSC_9572

DSC_9573

Aji


DSC_9575

Torched Ootoro

DSC_9578

Sendai uni

DSC_9581

DSC_9582

DSC_9583

I hate to be at a loss for words and unfortunately, only these words come to mind - Very , it leaves a bittersweet finish inspite of its overall sweetness. This belongs to the sweet murasaki uni family.


What followed next was a series of sea urchin treats, almost as if Chef was ready to showhand on his collection.

DSC_9602




And scream. A whole box for me, please.



DSC_9604

DSC_9605

Hokkaido uni






Chef Kazu lamented about his prized box of uni, fresh of the day's 4am auction at Tsukiji Market and he paid more than one freaking thousand dollars for one of the four boxes. I gulped and proceeded to savour every bit of it. It's a low season for uni and if I'd like, August is the best month to return.



DSC_9598


Miso Soup

DSC_9606


Seasonal Fruit and Sweets

DSC_9610




What I love about omakase at Ki-sho is, no two meals are exactly the same and one can be guaranteed of the season's best and freshest. Every encounter is a journey, one that is more than just food and sake, I know a bit more about Chef each visit...and while the courses are predictable, I am never bored and thank you Ki-sho once again for the memories.


Happy Valentine's, baby.



Comments