Sum Kee Food @ Telok Blangah Street

DSC_9756

I am always on the look out for zichar places to add to my comfort list, partly because too much restaurant food can kill the appetite. #firstworldproblems Next to Por Kee, I have yet to find another that I can count on regardless of day and time of the week.

Sum Kee Food fell under the radar after a particular instagram post by a fellow foodie - How I love social media for its no secrets policy - I mean good food is for sharing.

Located in a building that also has a clinic, ask around and be directed to the large restaurant. 

DSC_9738

Ultra Man Chicken ($10)

With the salted egg craze going strong recently, this salted egg fried chicken topped the list for sin. Doused in a savoury salted egg sauce these bite sized fried chicken pieces were a tough contender for addictive beer snacks.

DSC_9755

Hot Plate Tofu ($10)

Sizzling hot dish of tofu and egg, worth the theatrics I say!

DSC_9741

Yam Ring ($18)

Another old school dish that I started eating since a kid and we all marvel at the beauty of the yam ring. This was haphazardly done with a huge plate, unnecessary amount of egg white nest and the much revered yam ring. Loved the yam ring, on the fence about the ingredients that was mostly onions anyway.

DSC_9753

Sliced Fish with Vegetables ($15)

The portion of meat to greens is clearly lopsided but I definitely did not complain about the generous portion of kai lan.

DSC_9742

Baby Kai Lan ($8)

A tad oily with plenty of wok hei.

DSC_9744

Yang Chow Fried Rice ($15)

On the sweet and greasy side but so satisfying with chilli padi in particular! 

DSC_9747

Moon Light Horfun ($12)

DSC_9752

The one I visited Sum Kee for, fried thick kuay teow with an egg cracked on top - resembling the moon quite nearly. The magic lies in their thick kuay teow, the smooth sheets coated in egg white and sauce makes this a delicious dish to behold.

Heavy handed in oil for most of the dishes, none of them attempted showcased their steaming techniques so I shall leave that for a second visit. Great value and a menu featuring not so common dishes. 

Sum Kee Food
No. 2 Telok Blangah Steet 31
Yeo's Building

Comments