Royal China Revisited @ Raffles Hotel

DSC_6726

A recent savoury pumpkin cake craving pointed me to Royal China - reservations made in advance with a super gruff telephone operator and seats given right at the entrance - before I even launch into a bitchfit on how there was none of that pumpkin cake on the menu, I was already disappointed with Royal China.

DSC_6704

Standards have been dwindling over the years yet I still had a soft spot somehow. I call it diehard, sometimes.

DSC_6708

DSC_6711

A weekend only menu item, I jumped at it - turned out to be petite sized crispy char siew buns. The balance of sweet and savoury were skewed towards the latter for me.

DSC_6706

The only reasonably delicious one was the humble glutinous rice parcel.

DSC_6721

Pan-fried Bean curd roll stuffed with minced prawn ($5.60)

If there is a next delicious, it had to be these deep fried bean curd prawn paste fritters! Perfectly crispy with a dab of vinegar.

DSC_6717

The poorly made spinach dumplings was a joke when the skin tore and could barely contain the fillings.
 
DSC_6725

Baked Egg Tart ($4.80)

Even egg tarts did not make the mark with its overly sweet egg custard.

DSC_6703

If all fails, indulge in a still very delectable XO sauce.

The first time I left a restaurant after just 5 miserable orders of dimsum. Possibly the first doing so and last at Royal China. So long.

Royal China 
Raffles Hotel

Comments