Thanks Jayne for the invite and Ryan and his team for the amazing hospitality!
Strangers Reunion was coined rather tongue in cheek with the idea of having people meet at a cafe yet the irony is, strangers do not reunite and when they do, they will not be strangers anymore. Made to love coffee, Ryan Kieran Tan, our three time national barista champion and owner of Strangers Reunion, is creating new waves with his expanded unit, a more extensive menu that goes beyond waffles that everyone raves about and definitely coffee.
Together with the chef from Axil, a known cafe in Melbourne and definitely a favourite of Ryan's, they recreated his favourites specially for Strangers Reunion.
To think I've not been to their cafe once, successfully. Twice we hit the wall with a "closed for private event". Of which he vehemently denies but I'm glad we made it for a private event at last! Items featured are a combination of their newly revamped menu and ever famous waffles!

Counter to make coffee dreams a reality.

I spotted a really cute tipping jar - Ryan claims no wedding is in the works but we shall just see!

Colourful cups to chase weekday blues away.

Oriental touches to make the place an East meets West.
How about a bag of those well roasted beans?
Watching the nation's number 1 barrista do latte art is therapeutic. Such is my honour.
With two steady hands, deep concentration, I bated my breathe for as long as the latte art was done. Oh yes, holding your breath too as a barrista is one of the key criteria or so he muses.

The work of art, beautifully completed and man, those 60 seconds seemed like forever.

Strangers Reunion tags adoring the tables.

Personlised menu! Food for thought if you are considering holding private events there.
Magic ($5.50)
Double Ristretto and Milk
First in Singapore to introduce this and dubbed "magic", it claims of the perfect ratio of milk and coffee for the best tasting magical experience. So good, we had doubles, only to have the caffeine kick in for a restless night - yet, it was all too good.

Double the happiness.

Iced Coffee ($7.90)
Fragrant and well, love at first sip. I usually do not fancy coffee drinks much but this was different and there was hardly a cloying bitter aftertaste.
Apple Juice ($5.50)
Food portions are well adjusted for the tasting but I've included their actual portions as reference.
Egg Net( ($21)
Tempura soft shell crab with spicy kewpie Mayo and Corn in Brioche Bun
Part of their all day brunch offerings, this comes in twos for mains.

People say what the crab! Portions of soft shell crab are considerably huge, noting how they actually spill out of the buns. The egg net is exquisite, holding the innards quite gingerly together. Eat with your hands and request for an additional side of spicy kewpie mayo for the maximum satisfaction guaranteed. While I applaud the generosity, eating with fork and knife does not quite work it for this dish.

Lotus Root Chips with Spicy Aioli ($12.90)
Crispy deep fried chips are my perfect kind of pre-meal nibblers. Easy to reach out for and dunk. I love the sweet crisp finish that goes so well the with creamy spicy aioli.
Truffle Fries with Truffle Aioli and Parmesan Cheese ($12.90)
Perfumed thick cut fries sprinkled with parmesan cheese, while it wows on fragrance, the crispiness is lost nearly midway through the bowl.
Corn and Zucchini Fritters with Avocado, Poached Egg and Spicy Tomato Relish ($18)
Add Bacon ($21.50)
The above in its full glory but we were only served tasting portions of the corn and zucchini fritters. I found them ordinary but I suppose with the pile of ingredients above would make it one hearty vegetarian option.

Za-atar Spiced Eggplant Fritters with Lemon Yogurt ($12.90)
I love my eggplants cooked in any form and this was just the right alternative to fries. Loved the lemon yogurt that provided a lovely tangy touch with the crispy eggplant fritters. I would not have identified it as eggplant if not told so!

Crispy Pork Belly
For normal mains, this would be served double the portion seen above and in cubes. Best sio bak in a cafe.Word that for immensely crispy skin and well cooked belly without being too greasy. Truffled mash was so rich, I say this is way better than the fries. In times of greed, I wonder why don't they serve it in larger portions!
12 Hour Braised Lamb Shoulder Flat Bread with Quinoa Tabouli and Hummus ($19.50)
Mediterranean this screams. I am loving the colours of the lamb, peppers and hummus.

All wrapped up and ready to eat, this was a tad bland despite the 12 hour marination but kudos to the chef for removing any gameyness and best of all, the sweet peppers and hummus shone through this dish.
Buttermilk Waffles with Artisan Greek Yogurt and Fresh Fruit ($11.50)
Ryan claims he does not get the attention and popularity of his waffles - when everyone around me and even fans of this have deemed this to die for.
Crisp on the outside, fluffy within yet retaining some bite, sold on their famous waffles and there is a rightful reason for that. Greek yogurt has to be the cherry on top of the icing, Amazing part is, the light waffle did not end up soggy from the mass of ingredients above.
Worth a second visit to check them out again!
Buttermilk Waffles with Vanilla Icecream and Fresh Fruit ($11.50)
Icecream for the decadence. Waffles, I'm sold by now.

Doorgifts of their homemade jam, I'm loving the sincerity as it is and hope this appears on their menu with scones soon!

Before you go, be sure to check out their toilets - loving the whole set up!

Another outlet in CBD to spread their brew-love, now I wish I am back in that area to work!
Armed with lots of passion and heart, Ryan has his heart and mind set on making Strangers Reunion more than just a coffee place - Yes we heard you, best coffee and awesome waffles for a start, I look forward to more culinary adventures the kitchen has to offer.
Strangers Reunion
37/39 Kampung Bahru Road
Strangers Reunion was coined rather tongue in cheek with the idea of having people meet at a cafe yet the irony is, strangers do not reunite and when they do, they will not be strangers anymore. Made to love coffee, Ryan Kieran Tan, our three time national barista champion and owner of Strangers Reunion, is creating new waves with his expanded unit, a more extensive menu that goes beyond waffles that everyone raves about and definitely coffee.
Together with the chef from Axil, a known cafe in Melbourne and definitely a favourite of Ryan's, they recreated his favourites specially for Strangers Reunion.
To think I've not been to their cafe once, successfully. Twice we hit the wall with a "closed for private event". Of which he vehemently denies but I'm glad we made it for a private event at last! Items featured are a combination of their newly revamped menu and ever famous waffles!
Counter to make coffee dreams a reality.
I spotted a really cute tipping jar - Ryan claims no wedding is in the works but we shall just see!
Colourful cups to chase weekday blues away.
Oriental touches to make the place an East meets West.
How about a bag of those well roasted beans?
Watching the nation's number 1 barrista do latte art is therapeutic. Such is my honour.
With two steady hands, deep concentration, I bated my breathe for as long as the latte art was done. Oh yes, holding your breath too as a barrista is one of the key criteria or so he muses.
The work of art, beautifully completed and man, those 60 seconds seemed like forever.
Strangers Reunion tags adoring the tables.
Personlised menu! Food for thought if you are considering holding private events there.
Magic ($5.50)
Double Ristretto and Milk
First in Singapore to introduce this and dubbed "magic", it claims of the perfect ratio of milk and coffee for the best tasting magical experience. So good, we had doubles, only to have the caffeine kick in for a restless night - yet, it was all too good.
Double the happiness.
Iced Coffee ($7.90)
Fragrant and well, love at first sip. I usually do not fancy coffee drinks much but this was different and there was hardly a cloying bitter aftertaste.
Apple Juice ($5.50)
Food portions are well adjusted for the tasting but I've included their actual portions as reference.
Egg Net( ($21)
Tempura soft shell crab with spicy kewpie Mayo and Corn in Brioche Bun
Part of their all day brunch offerings, this comes in twos for mains.
People say what the crab! Portions of soft shell crab are considerably huge, noting how they actually spill out of the buns. The egg net is exquisite, holding the innards quite gingerly together. Eat with your hands and request for an additional side of spicy kewpie mayo for the maximum satisfaction guaranteed. While I applaud the generosity, eating with fork and knife does not quite work it for this dish.
Lotus Root Chips with Spicy Aioli ($12.90)
Crispy deep fried chips are my perfect kind of pre-meal nibblers. Easy to reach out for and dunk. I love the sweet crisp finish that goes so well the with creamy spicy aioli.
Truffle Fries with Truffle Aioli and Parmesan Cheese ($12.90)
Perfumed thick cut fries sprinkled with parmesan cheese, while it wows on fragrance, the crispiness is lost nearly midway through the bowl.
Corn and Zucchini Fritters with Avocado, Poached Egg and Spicy Tomato Relish ($18)
Add Bacon ($21.50)
The above in its full glory but we were only served tasting portions of the corn and zucchini fritters. I found them ordinary but I suppose with the pile of ingredients above would make it one hearty vegetarian option.
Za-atar Spiced Eggplant Fritters with Lemon Yogurt ($12.90)
I love my eggplants cooked in any form and this was just the right alternative to fries. Loved the lemon yogurt that provided a lovely tangy touch with the crispy eggplant fritters. I would not have identified it as eggplant if not told so!
Crispy Pork Belly
For normal mains, this would be served double the portion seen above and in cubes. Best sio bak in a cafe.Word that for immensely crispy skin and well cooked belly without being too greasy. Truffled mash was so rich, I say this is way better than the fries. In times of greed, I wonder why don't they serve it in larger portions!
12 Hour Braised Lamb Shoulder Flat Bread with Quinoa Tabouli and Hummus ($19.50)
Mediterranean this screams. I am loving the colours of the lamb, peppers and hummus.
All wrapped up and ready to eat, this was a tad bland despite the 12 hour marination but kudos to the chef for removing any gameyness and best of all, the sweet peppers and hummus shone through this dish.
Buttermilk Waffles with Artisan Greek Yogurt and Fresh Fruit ($11.50)
Ryan claims he does not get the attention and popularity of his waffles - when everyone around me and even fans of this have deemed this to die for.
Crisp on the outside, fluffy within yet retaining some bite, sold on their famous waffles and there is a rightful reason for that. Greek yogurt has to be the cherry on top of the icing, Amazing part is, the light waffle did not end up soggy from the mass of ingredients above.
Worth a second visit to check them out again!
Buttermilk Waffles with Vanilla Icecream and Fresh Fruit ($11.50)
Icecream for the decadence. Waffles, I'm sold by now.
Doorgifts of their homemade jam, I'm loving the sincerity as it is and hope this appears on their menu with scones soon!
Before you go, be sure to check out their toilets - loving the whole set up!
Another outlet in CBD to spread their brew-love, now I wish I am back in that area to work!
Armed with lots of passion and heart, Ryan has his heart and mind set on making Strangers Reunion more than just a coffee place - Yes we heard you, best coffee and awesome waffles for a start, I look forward to more culinary adventures the kitchen has to offer.
Strangers Reunion
37/39 Kampung Bahru Road
Comments
Post a Comment