Dessert @ Coffee Bean

I'm a self-confessed non-caffeine drinker...yes, in all forms of caffeine with the occasional tea...but that does not stop me from hanging out at coffee joints like Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf, Starbucks, Gloria Jean's, Spinelli's...for the desserts! These coffee joints do serve up really decent and solid desserts...my faves from Coffee Bean are...the traditional carrot cake...the xmas special of linzer tart...

I shall do a lil education for the uninformed, meringue (pronounced MER-RANG and not maring-gue) is..

–noun

1. a delicate, frothy mixture made with beaten egg whites and sugar or hot syrup, and browned, used as a topping for pies, pastry, etc.

2. a pastry or pastry shell made by baking such a mixture, sometimes filled with fruit, whipped cream, etc.


I had to try the cake of the month, Key Lime Banana Meringue, after spying the new addition from afar a couple of weeks back. It's got a "creamy yet light and tangy lime custard filing topped with banana flavoured mousse garnished with flamed meringue" according to the website.

At first bite, a very tangy zesty taste it's got, the cake was somewhat hard though, possibly not fresh? But overall it's quite a treat...a delicious addition! Like the layering of flavours...the lime custard's a nice treat.

Interesting that even Coffee Bean is venturing beyond the usual cheesecakes and chocolate cakes...more into meringues which I so adore. I've not quite eaten a bad meringue dessert yet [dreams of the mini lemon meringue tart from The Line, Shangri'la].

The meringue doesn't go down well with everyone though, the mom found it "not her kind of dessert".


For me, I'm more than happy to have this monthly special a permanent menu offering!


$5.60/slice

At all coffeebean outlets till end July.

www.coffeebean.com.sg

Comments