Lai Ching Yuen @ Millenium Hotel, Kuala Lumpur

DSC_5271

Lai Ching Yuen is possibly the only non halal Chinese restaurant in a KL hotel. And believe me but I didn't even realise that when making my reservations. Twas a Christmas Eve and whilst everyone was rushing for the turkeys and baked hams at the buffet next door, Lai Ching Yuen was barely packed and I cannot be happier with my choice.

DSC_5290 
Roasted Chicken in Spicy Sauce (RM 58, half)

DSC_5296


Roasted Crispy Chicken with Whole Garlic (RM 58, half)

I had my heart and stomach set on their signature roast ducks, pigeons and pork but no thanks to their dimsum buffet earlier and winter solistice family gatherings, they were all sold out. 

So I guess, no duck I have to settle for chicken?

While I enjoyed the crispy skin and flavours, the downside of the mala version was the chicken tasted a tad old, which the seasoning failed to cover.

If anything I learnt, avoid the flavoured roast chickens!


DSC_5282

Bei Fong Tong Style Wok Fried Prawns (RM 132)

A signature and a stunning one. Crispy prawns with a touch of ginger, onion, shrimp and belachan. Spot on, so delicious.

DSC_5293

Stewed Homemade Tofu with Salted Fish and Minced Pork (RM 58)

We nabbed the last portion of the home made tofu which was homey and hearty. Great with rice.

DSC_5281

Chinese Spinach with Superior Stock and Assorted Eggs (RM 58)

Somehow this trip to Malaysia, we had alot of this dish which suited the rainy weather quite well.

DSC_5299

Fried Rice with Goose Liver Paste and Pine Nuts (RM 68)

Best of the night, kissed with enough wok hei and the goose liver paste was strewn generously for just the right amount of seasoning. So simple, so good. 

DSC_5295

Lai Ching Yuen's Special Fried Crispy Noodles with Chicken, Prawns, Squid and Vegetables (RM 48)

 Despite this being a signature, I actually prefer the fried rice more. This was rather ordinary for me.

DSC_5304

Lai Ching Yuen's Signature Chilled Durian Pancake (RM 18)

I was really expecting somemore more than these wanton skin wrapped whipped cream and durian paste babies. That said, it was a nice finish to our dinner but fell short of expectations.

DSC_5307

It being christmas, we had a round of carollers!

I wish I knew earlier about their dimsum buffet going for a song of RM 78 nett! Dinner was worth the while and well, for all the overpriced buffets there are, going chinese was the best decision.


Lai Ching Yuen 
160 Jalan Bukit Bintang

Comments