Bincho Revisited @ Moh Guan Terrace


DSC_9948


Since lunch, I knew Bincho would be a place I'd return to check out dinner. The vibes of the place (the whole 70 year old coffeeshop charm) and how elusive it seems (that back door entrance) and well, I have enough excuses to return and I did.

DSC_9872

DSC_9870



DSC_9868



Chickens used are from a farm in Malaysia and they are hormone-free and antibiotic-free too.

DSC_9866

Bincho Express Set ($68) caters to a first timer at Bincho. It has highlights from their seafood and yakitori menu  but this as already mentioned, is Express and dinner is supposed to end before you know it. Personally I thought this was too abrupt to be considered a proper dinner course, nobody knew when it ended since dessert is not included.

Assorted Appetizer

DSC_9899

Assorted Sashimi Platter

I don't find sashimi their forte and personally still prefer their yakitori items.

DSC_9910

Salad Sticks with Bincho Signature Miso Paste

DSC_9913 

Yakitori Platter

Tsukune with Egg Yolk



Tori Zukushi Set ($90) is more focused on their specialty - chicken and for the first time, I was exposed to so many chicken parts which I normally would not even think of eating. Yeah, I'm chicken like that.

DSC_9896

DSC_9897

Assorted Appetizer

DSC_9895

Chicken Skin Salad

I liked this so much the first visit, I had to order a dinner set that included it. Chicken skin was deep fried till crispy and crunchy like keropok, if only they sold them by the bottle. I'd gladly pay for them!



DSC_9903

Yakitori "Shio" Platter
(Soft Bone, Gizzard, Tail)

I am squeamish about chicken parts in general and even between the thigh and breast, I typically head for the breast and then wings. The tail is completely unventured ground and I surprised myself even by polishing it clean, something chewy, something soft and something tasty.

DSC_9920

Tsukune with Egg Yolk

We were encouraged to crack the yolk and pour it over the tsukune patty, amidst the torched and grilled flavours, there was a certain creaminess about this combination. Just. So. Good.

DSC_9933

Yakitori "Tare" Platter
(Heart, Liver, Neck)

DSC_9925

This was even more uncharted area, intestines. I am generally averse to them with very very few exceptions - foie gras, ox tongue and cod sperm would be my most audacious attempts thusfar.

The neck was sinewy and at times required some jaw work but definitely was friendlier than the heart. The crunchy muscle had a really odd and acquired aftertaste. Suddenly the buttery liver was the most popular on this platter.

DSC_9935

Yakitori Don

DSC_9938

I'd consider this a mini don just to set expectations right. The same grilled chicken breast that we had in the truffle dish - very tasty don, infact it was so aromatic I cannot help but take deep whiffs of this. Nothing to fault and infact, so hearty, I just wish portions were bigger.

DSC_9943

Dessert of the Day
Tokopoten Animitsu ($15) 

DSC_9946

Chestnuts, dango, red bean and bracken flour noodles make up this Japanese dessert. This is not commonly eaten and was an interesting take on dessert.

DSC_9940

Crispy Onigiri ($15)

Wrapped with sliced kurobuta, this grilled rice ball made a hearty snack.

DSC_9902

Grilled Miso Cod ($40)

A tad too blackened but beneath that was a oily slab of heaven, miso paste kissed cod was absolutely gratifying.

DSC_9890

Chicken Breast with Truffle ($28)

Hormone free chickens do have a different taste and texture altogether, I found this extra juicy. Truffle shavings together with truffle woven under the skin of the chicken  breast and grilled made this a real treat!

DSC_9880

Cocks Comb ($5)

Mamma mia, so tender! I missed this so bad.

DSC_9944

Goma Tofu Brulee ($12)

This was too dense and missed out on some velvety smooth texture. A disappointment here. 


DSC_9874

DSC_9877

Happy hour makes happy tipples.

DSC_9873

I'd highly recommend a splurge on their yakitori and dons, just once and you could be sold too.

Bincho
#01-19, 78 Moh Guan Terrace

Comments