Yoshikawa Tempura @ Kyoto

DSC_8926

Yoshikawa Tempura is lauded as Kyoto's best and with a no reservation over lunch policy, I have to thank my lucky stars when we got our seats without any waiting in the cold. House in an inn, the place exudes plenty of charm.


DSC_8969

The entrance to tempura heaven, or so they say.

DSC_8927

Japanese garden view in the quaint and cosy tempura restaurant with just 8 counter seats.

DSC_8930

The aged chef was the only one handling all the orders and bless that man with his perfect memory! Each of us came in at varying times and he could remember how far we have progressed with our courses.

DSC_8931

That pot of oil was kept bubbling throughout and the chef deftly handled his tempura pieces with such skill, I just wonder how many years of experience went into mastering this.


DSC_8955

From skillfully slicing the ingredients to equal portions and dipping them into the batter and finally slipping them into the cauldron of cooking oil, I was in awe.

DSC_8933

JPY 3,000 lunch set are the only option with top ups like those above. 
DSC_8941

My set came in so many compartments - which is what I really love about the Japanese cuisine. Nary a boring meal.

DSC_8942

Pickled cabbage and fried shrimp were recommended as rice toppings.


DSC_8944

Absolutely delicious when sprinkled on the rice, either the rice was amazing or these toppings were just too delicious. I could have polished my bowl of rice with just these had it not been for the spread that was awaiting me.

DSC_8935

Lemon and salt was also provided as additional seasoning.

DSC_8939

Prawns

DSC_8945 
Eggplant

  DSC_8946

Corn


DSC_8949

Sweet Potato

DSC_8950

White Fish

DSC_8951

Long Beans

DSC_8952

Pumpkin

DSC_8953

Mushrooms

DSC_8956

Anago

DSC_8961

Scallops and lady's fingers

DSC_8962

More prawn, I was surprised with this course. I'd have expected prawn heads at least for that finale.

DSC_8932

We could not resist sharing a mixed vegetable and prawn fritter!

DSC_8967

Incredibly crisp and crunchy, the vegetables were fried till they tasted just like crackers and those shrimps were still juicy.

Best tempura? I have to agree wholeheartedly on the claim. The experience was fussfree and enjoyable, the staff are clearly used to foreigners hence the impressive grasp of the English language even. Lunch is definitely very affordable and I would highly recommend a visit to Yoshikawa.


Yoshikawa Tempura
Tominokoji-dori, Oike sagaru, Nakagyo-ku

Comments