Tokyo - Kyoto - Tokyo: Shinkansen Eats

Travelling on the Shinkansen is quite an experience and so I planned an intercity itinerary just so I could go on one. How frivolous really.

It's my second time but Tokyo Station still freaks me out with the traffic that goes through the station at any time during the day. I still made the same mistake of purchasing my food at station instead of combini shops - when will I ever learn!?

DSC_8621


Egg mayo and pork cutlet sandwiches from the shinkansen bento shop (there's only just one and everyone buys from them)!  Egg sandwiches seem to be the breakfast staple in Japan since most takeaways sell these.

DSC_8623

The best thing about Japan is their vending machines and mind boggling variety of hot drinks. Here's hot lemon for the cold weather!

DSC_8628

My mentaiko onigiri that was rather stingy on ingredients. The combini shops sell better onigiris.

DSC_8624

The husband's protein fix which ended up too sweet.

DSC_8626

These stuffed squids were too tough and sweet too.

DSC_8627


DSC_8629

Snack time with these potato sticks, seriously eating all the time throughout the train ride. No first class cabin? I bring my own sustenance pack.

DSC_8633

Better than Hokkaido Potato, especially when they taste so much like blue cheese sticks.

DSC_9330

More of the pork cutlet egg sandwiches on my way out of Kyoto. There's just something about pork cutlet and egg sandwiches that tastes so good in Japan. The omelette is fluffier than usual and the cottony soft bread makes everything so delicious.

DSC_9334

And a strawberry daifuku for dessert this time round!

With my own entertainment, the three hour ride was very comfortable. If only, I could train this way from Singapore to Japan...I secretly think I would! 

Comments