Noodle Cafe @ Sim Lim Square

DSC_7590

Quite a while ago, Thai Boat Noodles were the in-nest thing on the dining table - the mushrooming of similar stalls happened almost overnight. Was it a case of pure coincidence or trying to capitalize on the wave?


DSC_7578

Laminated yet very flimsy menus - I wonder how many meals has this hole in wall eatery seen.

DSC_7579

Pots of spices.

DSC_7580

Somehow this bowl of wilted vegetables looked barely blanched, I'd advise against ordering.

DSC_7581

This metal cup had me in giggles - the size of the straw especially.

DSC_7584

Thai Boat Noodles ($5)

The boat noodles are served in two sizes - small and large. The former priced at $1.90 was the equivalent of two mouthfuls' worth. Great for trying all the flavours available.

I headed for the Special Sauce, one that was sweet and spicy and tasty despite its fiery demeanor.

DSC_7586

It was a pity the noodles were slightly overcooked and my pieces of beef were far and few. Still a delicious encounter, and a pricey one to boot.

DSC_7588

Pork cackling and lard to complete that roadside experience with all things sinful. I loved the pork cackling, almost like fried dough fritters only better after soaking in the broth.

DSC_7589 

A not so friendly dessert of canned fruit, jellies and what tasted like bandung milk.

I liked my first encounter with Thai Boat Noodles, the more subdued side of thai food than the usual  tom yum goong or green curry.

Noodle Cafe
1 Rochor Canal #01-05 Sim Lim Square

Comments