Durian Fest 2015 @ Resorts World Sentosa

~Invited Session~

DSC_0060



I and durians come a long way - Until 10, I loved them with a burning passion. More than the chou chou that I developed such an attachment for. Then came a strange thing called puberty and possible a whole universe of change in preferences that this became a foe.

DSC_0014

I am almost non-Singaporean who does not consider the Durian Season as important as a good sale. Come to think of it, I have queued for a Hello Kitty toy but not for durians.

 DSC_0055

Durian Fest by Resorts World came and went with a full subscription, so did I - like a traitor, I felt I was wasting the ticket since I was there to soak up the atmosphere and smells (categorically, what is aroma to the durian lover is poison to another, if I may classify it - it is like skunk fart).

DSC_0018

I've never seen a nation of people so obsessed with thorns. No pain, no pleasure.

DSC_0023

Visitors got to dig into  six premium types of durians this year, along with other seasonal fruits like mangosteens, jackfuits and duku langsats. Also available were coconuts. 

DSC_0020

See what I mean? Acupuncture probably elicit more squeals than holding a durian by its thorns.

DSC_0052

I was possibly the only one who was there for the concubines of fruits, truth be told, I never had such juicy rambutans or mangosteens before! 

DSC_0029

DSC_0028


DSC_0049


DSC_0025

DSC_0038

Free flow of coconuts to quench the thirst!

DSC_0035

Yellow gold.

 DSC_0036

Mao Shan Wang

DSC_0040 


The King of fruit reigns with almost every table having at least one of these - pungent laced with an incredible creaminess and sweetness. 



DSC_0037

Red Prawn

DSC_0042

The bittersweet aftertaste with hints of liquor made this my personal favourite of the types of durian available. It is almost acquired like whiskey.  

DSC_0047

D13

DSC_0048

Just mouthfuls of sweet pulp, entry level methinks for those who prefer something one dimensional tasting.

DSC_0015

The thoughtful management made sure every table was well equipped to fend off heatiness.

DSC_0059

Everyone went prepared - to queue and eat like no tomorrow. The amount of empty shells that stacked up at the end of the event was a horrifying pile. 

A star of the event is the largest stack of durians in the world exhibit, one that dimished so fast that by the time I managed a decent snap, they had ran out of durians and the seating was about to end. 

DSC_0045

Their durian mascot also joined in the fun - I can only imagine if he were a durian lover and being above to see and not touch the stack would be incredibly torturous!

Then the unimaginable happened, I fell in love with the king of fruit, again. I have been badgering the dad for red prawn durian to no end ever since - oops!

DSC_0062

So long Durian Fest 2015, I am already looking forward to 2016!

Word has it that the latest durian breed is 皇中王, one that even trumps Mao Shan Wang for premium. Let's see if I can get an ally on this to sneak in some bites this season. 

Have you had your durian this season? 

Comments