Social Place @ L Place, Hong Kong

DSC_0170

Are you social enough?

Social Place offers diners a range of contemporary Chinese dim-sum and dishes using fresh and quality ingredients – rice bran oil as cooking oil and no MSG added.


DSC_0169

Reservations were a breeze since they accepted them online and confirmations were also very prompt.

DSC_0146

I fell in love with the decor of the restaurant almost immediately, I loved the usage of white and fixtures of the restaurant that gave it a modern cafe touch to the otherwise old school yum cha experience.

DSC_0143 

Spot them houseflies in my bowl? Their plates and bowls are designed with a quirk in each, incorporating flies and spider designs into them making dining very real.

DSC_0147

川汁皮蛋 (HKD 48)

Somehow I had the impression that century eggs in Hong Kong all had that molten center and this was barely so and topped with chilli. I am having trouble identifying its sichuan origins but this was not my idea of a good appetizer.

DSC_0151

Steamed Glutinous Siew Mai

One of their many innovative takes on dimsum, this siew mai was stuffed with glutinous rice and adorned with truffle.

DSC_0149

松露香菇 (HKD 49)

Ingenuity at its peak with cocoa dusted buns filled with truffle mushrooms.

DSC_0154

The traditionalists would swipe this off as a fad yet the earthy mushrooms and truffle fragrance did turn the tables on the naysayers. I am a fan already as I type and perhaps would request for a steamer's worth just for myself the next visit.

DSC_0155

白玉王鴿 (HKD 59)

Just like crispy chicken, only better. The pigeon was probably given a good rub-a-dub before cooking hence the flavours that came through, salty with a five spice finish.

DSC_0157



Who knew that crispy lotus root chips and carrot cake would taste so good together? Throw in chilli and make this a mamma mia delicious item.

DSC_0160

猛虎咬豬 (HKD 39 each)

DSC_0158

Pork Belly sliders with a name so cute, I burst out laughing. Khong Bak Pau done the modern cantonese way and I was loving every bite of the collagen rich bun specked with pickled vegetables.

DSC_0162

Crispy battered fish filets that were almost as light as the tempura fish that I adore.

DSC_0164

Strangely or not, I actually found the white cabbage really delicious.

 DSC_0165

The rose mantous that got the IG community quite excited. Created for Valentine's and was still on the menu when I went in March, these beautifully sculpted roses are sold in limited quantities daily and greedy me immediately booked some when I arrived.

DSC_0166 

Served with a side of sweet milk, I chose to drizzle it instead of dunking it in the milk. This was a case of prettier to look at than tastier to eat, it was just an ordinary red bean pau with a lovely exterior. Maybe "too pretty to eat" would have served its full purpose.

Hits and misses at Social Place but well worth a visit to explore other options of yumcha. It tends to get very crowded over lunch and reservations are highly recommended.

Social Place
The L. Place, 137-141 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong, Hong Kong 

Comments