Street Art Trail @ Georgetown, Penang

DSC_0376

Known for street art, that was one of the attractions for me especially in Georgetown, an area that had been conferred one of UNESCO Heritage sites around the world. I would recommend doing this trail early in the morning at around 8am, without the heat and crowds that would make phototaking a lengthy and arduous process.

There are murals and street installations to capture and while there are street trails with exact pieces to look out for, it is always a joy to stumble upon one or two on your own.


DSC_0373

The great thing about these metal installations is they tell a story, a story about Penang and the district which made walking around very fun.

DSC_0374


Minions take over the town and I thought this was a really cute piece.

DSC_0396

Enter into Lebur Armenian where most tourists would congest.

DSC_0286

Some more stories!

DSC_0287

I name this magician gone wrong and everyone tried to replicate the shocked faces.

DSC_0397

This is almost hard to spot on a regular touristy day since there will be crowds of people surrounding the store right next to it.

DSC_0293

Ice balls! A thing of my mom's era which she fondly remembers as a precious treat costing just 10 cents and she would share it with a friend as it would be cheaper. I cannot imagine eating ice kachang with my hands but that's nostalgia for you.

DSC_0294

Uber cute mascots!

DSC_0296

The famous hokkien mural.

DSC_0297

DSC_0299

Hidden in an alley is a cat, the start of the series of cat murals. Infact this is the beginning of the 12 cat murals along the stretch.

DSC_0300

Just opposite are a couple of penguins.

DSC_0306

The all famous bicycle one! While most people queue for a snap with it, I actually prefer it just the way it is.

DSC_0308

The start of the many cats, I ones on the bamboo sticks were too cute! Modelled like the real animals.

DSC_0312

And the reason for the cat chase - a rambunctious mouse. Totally captures the fear of the poor mouse in a single wall.

DSC_0310

This mural was blocked by a line of bicycles up for hire.

DSC_0314

Another beautifully captured cat and rat chase.

DSC_0404

I found this at an owl-themed cafe, not exactly part of the cat exhibition but I thought it was so cute!

DSC_0406

This is the ever famous chair-boy-tin mural that has everyone clamouring to be on that seat. The stall where this mural is found sells coconut icecream, another time I suppose!

DSC_0385

Lots of eateries line this street trail and I chanced upon Ming Xiang Tai, Penang's answer to irresisitible pastries, or so they claim.

DSC_0319

I love pastry shops because of the fragrance that makes going into the shop a must.

DSC_0315

Spotting this sign from afar made me crave egg tarts.

DSC_0317

Old school was the theme of their decor.

DSC_0318

The buzz behind the counter, staff dressed in their signature yellow tops.

DSC_0316

Flaky, buttery pastry that reminded me of a portugese egg tart but the custard was way too sweet.

DSC_0320

Yet another photogenic corner of a pair of children lusting for buns in the steamer at the back of a bicycle. I'd love to live in that era, where food was so down to earth.

DSC_0381

Another shot of my favourite street mural.

DSC_0382

I can imagine the honest days of pedalling their fresh bakes.

DSC_0321

Last but not the very least, the mural to signal the start of Chew Jetty.

DSC_0322

Chew Jetty is a settlement of houses on water, they are mostly touristy these days but back in those days they were one of the more prominent jettys as compared to the rest.

DSC_0326

The things I wish for in 2015.

DSC_0327

The view right at the end of the jetty, a calming sight awaits!

Comments