Gion Dining and Restaurant @ Royal Scotts on Plaza

gion dining

Gion Dining replaces Ultra Heat Lounge at Royal Scotts on Plaza, poised to be a private dining restaurant with exclusive lift access even. They were running a voucher deal previously but I had no problems reserving a table or even pushing my reservation time on the day itself.

chopstcks


The only signs of branding, the napkins were blank, so were the toothpicks.

gion dining

Some Japanese elements.

The voucher claimed it was a meal for two valued at $200 and retailing at $48, considerably a huge steal.

salad

A portion for two to share, apart from the mayo drizzle it was just a salad with mayo.

sashimi

3 types of sashimi and they were not quite fresh.

potato salad

Looking like a korean side dish, I enjoyed the salad potato best.

grape juice

50% off drinks saw me ordering a Japanese grape juice for $4, after discount. A Yeo's canned drink goes for a tune of $3 each after discount.

chawanmushi

Chawanmushi with artificial crabmeat, and still consider yourself an exquisite dining place. So ordinary.

sushi

We were looking forward to sushi and then saw banana-kiwi-ketchup sushi on the platter. While it tasted not so bad, it was starting to be a joke. Sushi for kids this seemed like and coming from a restaurant seemed like a joke.

saba

Sweetened mackerel served lukewarm.

fish

An overcooked and very chewy other fish dish.

chicken cutlet

Finally a decent chicken katsu.

ebi tempura

Over battered ebi tempura.

soba

Store bought green tea soba and cold noodle.

fruits 

And fruits to long this meal that was dragging on for nearly forever not because it was omakase but the kitchen was busy. Maybe expecting musk melon would be a far fetch but I was just disappointed.

I cannot comment on their ala carte menu since it was a set. One thing for sure, if this is the quality of food served during a set the ala carte is not too far off and no more returns are on the cards.

Gion Dining and Restaurant 
Royal Scotts on Plaza

Comments

  1. Had lunch with my wife in this ‘Gion Dining’ in 25 Scotts Road, Royal Plaza hotel in Singapore. Not entirely great experience at all, so if possible, can avoid this restaurant.
    Food taste ok but not up to its price tag standard. The main problem was that they didn’t serve food at the same time as well. A 10-15mins wait between the two orders. Isn’t it a basic standard to ensure food get serve around the same time? Well at least for restaurant charging S$45 for a lunch set but yet both the taste and services are like eating in canteen.
    I have raised the concern since I have not eaten my food and waited for my wife’s meal to arrive and turns out all the food are cold after the prolonged wait. So asked waitress to take food back to kitchen and reheat, and they happens to take one item away at a time. It feels like a joke having food in this place.
    There are plenty other Japanese restaurant in town and I will not recommend this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the update anon! Looks like it's not even teething issues but a serious quality issue they have.

      Delete
  2. i went there recently cos i bought the deals as well. not a good experience as well. the 10 course set meals are ok, not fantastic. as mentioned in your post, the sushi was a joke and the sashimi was not fresh at all. we feedback to the lady boss, and she still has the cheek to say maybe the tuna sashimi is too chewy. will never go there again even if they have deals. there are better deals in other restaurants than this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your feedback and backing me up on the review! I truly wonder what is their purpose of having a restaurant in such a location too.

      Delete
  3. I just went a few weeks ago, very disappointed. Definitely not worth the price. The sushi in year 2015 is worst than what you had there. The ebi was the worst. I should have done my research before buying the deal which I usually does. Regret. You can see my review at

    https://trytrylor.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/11-course-japanese-cuisine-at-gion-japanese-restaurant-royal-plaza-on-scotts-review/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh, should have seen this comments before buying their voucher. Regret now even though i've not try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to have seen the above comments. I actually thought of visiting this restaurant this weekend with my family. Now, I will avoid it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment