Swee Choon Tim Sum Restaurant @ Jalan Besar

swee choo



Swee Choon has been around long enough for my pals to rave nonstop about its affordable dimsum - to think I was still stuck in the era were 126 Dim Sum was the budget eat. I checked in at past 8 thinking that majority of the locals would have silenced their dinner pangs by then, how wrong was I.

swee choon

Despite the burgeoning crowds, we were let in in 15 minutes. The short wait can be entirely attributed to their large presence along the road; 4 shop sizes worth for dining in and 1 for taking away. Their dimsum business has gotten larger than life and the Hongkonger was hardly convinced.

pickles

Pickled vegetables came in easy to eat strips, and made waiting easier.

big pau

Swee Choon Big Pau ($1.80)

big pau

A full chicken pau with egg yolk meant for the hungry.

custard paus

Steamed Salted Egg Yolk Custard Bun ($3.60)

molten

Enough said when I tore a gaping hole in the bulbous bun, the golden sand was a gorgeous shade of yellow and the rest I say is history. Two out of three made it to my plate and nearly the last in the basket if I had not stopped myself. The liquid gold was delicious, just the right consistency without a disgusting layer of oil nor any of the grittiness that some paus have and this was pure heaven. 

I could very well have found the best around.

fried mee sua kueh

Swee Choon Mee-Suah Kueh ($2)

Deemed a signature, this kueh comprised of oodles of mee sua fried into what looks like a carrot cake. I would gladly swop my usual carrot cake for this in return - terribly addictive!

char siew pastry

Baked BBQ Pork Pastry ($2.40)

A decent pastry.

fried fish skin

Deep Fried Crispy Fish Skin ($5)

I had one too many of this crispy delight.

hong you chao shou

Sichuan Chilli Oil Wanton La Mian ($6.50)

noodles

Pasty wantons in a fistful of noodles, this was too ordinary for another mention.

spicy soup

Spicy and Sour Soup ($4)

This was a mean dish - packed the right punch of spice and sour. 

prawn paste chicken

Crispy Pork Ribs with Salt and Pepper ($8)

A pork version of prawn paste chicken.

kang kong sambal

Sambal Kang Kong ($6)

I thought sambal was missing here.

coonut

Chilled Botak Coconut Pudding ($4.80)

coconut jelly

I nearly did not want to stay for dessert after several calls for it. Refreshing coconut jelly made the wait all worth while, it was a coconut jelly version of lao ban - the melting moments were too good to ignore.

tea

Pu Er ($1.20)

Old school way of serving tea and a cup submerged in boiling water.


barley


Barley ($2)

My first barley drank from a metal mug, somehow that kept the barley warm. 

Very affordable dimsum at decent prices and restaurant standard hits. Brave the crowds and be rewarded with a gratifying experience. 

Opening hours from 6pm-6am, closed on Tuesday.

Swee Choon Tim Sum Restaurant
191 Jalan Besar

Comments

  1. Omg, u didn't try swee choon's orh nee! A must try for me, even if i need to share!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whoops - really no space! will try in my next visit!

      Delete

Post a Comment