Mikuni Revisited @ Swissotel Stamford

Saying no to Mikuni is sin and so I didn't. I've been patronizing too much these days that friends think I have a VIP membership - no really, it is their consistently good food and of course, the lovely FAR card that made all these possible. So much so, I am toying with the idea of a renewal but but but...we shall just see how things pan out.

robata counter

I booked a table at the Robataya room since the main hall was full so hurray since we get to enjoy either the Robata or Teppan Lunch Sets are going for $68++, which is a greater steal compared to their usual lunch sets.

ebi cracker

Each meal starts with a serving of prawn crackers - major love.

salad

Organic Mixed Green Salad with Sesame Sauce

We all tried to eat clean, ahead of the gastronomy that awaited.

chawanmushi

Japanese Chawanmushi Egg Custard

After Fat Cow's, this seemed to be less luxurious. Trust the restaurants to do it right though.

appetizers

My beautiful platter of appetizers.

butter scallop

Hokkaido Scallop with Onion Butter

Onion butter was so slurpable, I felt guilty eating without a care in the world, quite unglamourously. Throw in a bouncy scallop, I was totally gone with the scallop.

fish

Atka Mackerel from Kyushuu

The main reason why I opted for this menu is because of the kagoshima beef and being not quite a fish fan, I did not fully appreciate the mackerel. Filled with bones and really fresh. 

asparagus

Green Asparagus

A perfectly grilled juicy asparagus.

platter

In its full glory. 

kagoshima

Kagoshima Wagyu Beef with Garlic Soya

There is it, three cubes of heaven. With marbling so beautiful, each precious bite dissolved into sucha  puddle of joyful oil, I was at peace with Monday. 

kurubuta

Kurobuta Pork Tsukune with Egg

It is a pity that kurobuta pork was made into a skewer, I am definitely not complaining since it was a delectable well smoked yakitori number. The raw egg soya dip was also a delicious addition.

corn

Hokkaido Sweet Corn

Nothing comes quite close to Hokkaido sweet corn in terms of sweetness and colour. So simple, yet perfect with sea salt. 

kyoto herring

Kyoto-style Herring Fish Soba

udon

Herring, unlike mackerel was easier to love. Just like the canned preserved black bean fish, everything could be devoured. I loved the sweet notes of the fish and the hearty broth that came with it. I'm still not a fan of the soba, unfortunately.

panna cotta

Panna Cotta

Served in a condiment jar and a shovel-like spoon, I belittled these theatrics. Most times, if such a dessert were to appear at a buffet table I would shun it the way I shun shooter desserts. Reason is simple, it is usually a shoddy put together of the day's remnants. 

shovel

This, proved to be more than the berry compote on custard. Creamy and milky all at once with a pudding so smooth, I scraped it so clean.

cappucino

They seemed to have tweaked their petit fours allowance a fair bit. These are only accorded to diners who order beverages - major boo boo here since their matcha truffles and adzuki bean cubes are really delicious.

sweets

Sweet love.

This place really needs no more further introduction - just try it and join the bandwagon of fans.

Mikuni
Swissotel Stamford

Comments