Sostanza Trattoria @ Florence

Coincidentally, the same day I made reservations for Sostanza, the driver offered to take us to a place with good Tuscan steak. When he realized we had steak plans for dinner, he nodded in agreement.

How to die for can steak be? Mortons, CUT, Lawry's I've tried them all but what was that sparkle that was missing?

I was told they do two seatings for dinner and we booked the first at 730pm. I wonder where I got the punctual genes on a holiday from since being Singaporean has moulded me otherwise. At 710pm we were hovering around the area trying to find the restaurant. The map pointed to the street that was taken up 80% by a tractor doing roadworks so what was left was a leeway for one to balance on a plank.



We paced up and down the street even checking with the only bar open in the next lane and I was wondering if googlemaps or the one who recommended me was fibbing. Until 720pm came and there was a slight adjustment in the shutters - almost ready for dinner! It was then that we learnt, restaurants and bistros all close till the official opening time.

A few more groups of people started appearing near the trattoria and by the time we step into it, it was two thirds full - all in 5 minutes. Our friendly waiter greeted us for the night and spoke in halting English but we all understood him fine and dandy. The menu was easy to understand - we just went with the recommended.




The old school interior.



The likeminded.



Celebrity studded walls.



Limited menu. 



Freshly baked bread dunked on the table - full loaves these are and it was not long before we got to tearing these apart. Crusty, doughy and the smell of freshly baked bread is to die for. 



Tortino di carciofi (13 EUR)

None of us had an inkling it would look this way - afterall artichokes are not the most beautiful of vegetables. Looking like hummus, I took a jab at it and it turned out to be the artichoke pie. Gorgeously stiff, it tasted pretty much like a vegetable paste pie but more delicious than it sounds. The olive oil drizzled gave it a yummy finish.



Pasta al sugo (9 EUR)

Average tasting pasta - with the tastebuds so spoilt with the best pasta eaten, this was a plain jane. 



Pasta al burro (9 EUR)

A boring rendition with just a chunk of butter to grease things up.



Petit di pollo al burro (16 EUR)

When the tripadvisor folks raved about this, I had my doubts with the many times they have tricked me. This arrives on a scorching hot metal pan with two chicken chunks swimming in oil. Figuratively that would have been a recipe for disaster but it turned out to be the best chicken dish I have ever eaten. Not even fried chicken comes close to the satisfaction derived from every succulent bite and oh the butter that went into greasing it - heaven on earth. Crisp batter with a chicken so tender, two orders of it was not even enough to satisfy.



Buttered Spinach

Rubbed down with enough butter to make this dish my favourite. 



T Bone Steak (500 grams/25 EUR)



For all the times I have been tricked into paying for my steak - here's one trattoria that will make me think twice about forking out that much for steak. The waiter comes over with the beef in its gory glory before they start cooking it - I do not even remember the last time any restaurant did that not out of frivolity's sake (think a waving lobster in your face to show the menu). Well marbled beef that any tiger would die for. The one shown above is 5 kilos all in, I wish I had the stomach space to take that on!



The clobbering gets done behind the doors and viola, a well charred steak gets laid on the table. Florentine style no less. The steak was a perfect juicy pink with an awesome sear - the fragrance that hit the nostrils was heaven on earth kind of joy. I've never embraced bloodyness with such joy before.

Never had a steak so good, and it will take more cows than I can imagine to replicate this masterpiece.



If the kilo was not enough, there was another 500 grams to seal perfection. 



Dolce (6 EUR)

Time for dessert and a man came by in his white apron and winked - he recommended the meringue cake made with his "little fingers and topped with raspberries". For its cheekiness, we ordered it despite not bearing a huge love for meringue. How wrong would that be?

A meringue so gentle in sweetness, it makes me wonder why men are so good in the kitchen searing steaks and making dessert. The balance of meringue, sponge cake and custard was the work of a genius - we lapped it up greedily, till the last crumb.



The crowds that waved us goodbye - worthy of second seatings and boy, I wish I discovered this way earlier!



Sosantza Trattoria, please mark it down in your books!

Sostanza Trattoria
Via del Porcellana, 25/R, 50123 Florence

Comments