Carpenter and Cook @ Lorong Kilat

DSC_0274

Forgive me for my ignorance but I never knew that Carpenter and Cook was located in a considerably happening neighbourhood - perhaps too overcrowded to be considered up and coming anymore. Even at 10pm, there was a steady stream of visitors who had a vicarious appetite for late night bites.

DSC_0263

Just like dining in someone's pantry.

DSC_0264

And then like someone's dessert party with these mid air pompoms. 

DSC_0268

Lemon "Eat Me" Drizzle Cake ($5)

A lemon pound cake seasoned with poppy seeds and a delectable frosting. Cake texture was dense which works better for tea with cake.

DSC_0270

Swirly Brioche ($5)

Nothing to yell about since it was just ham swirled into the light pillowy brioche.

DSC_0272

Iced Americano ($5)

Frowned upon in a "I've had better" way.

DSC_0262

An old register, anyone?

DSC_0265

They have more than a bakery to attract, a vintage furniture shop infact for the arty farty and hungry. A well conceived concept that is by no means out of the but lacking somewhat in the food department. 

Carpenter and Cook 
19 Lorong Kilat, #01-06

Comments

  1. Hey there,

    maybe you need to try more things before you decide that C&C is somewhat lacking in the food department. Tarts are always the best sellers and I've eaten the passionfruit tart so many times but I never get tired of it! I still pay for it out of my own pocket even though I get to eat broken tarts on a regular basis haha. Other favourites include the lemon meringue cake, and the cheesecakes. The carrot cake is also good though I favour cedele's frosting.

    I do agree the lemon drizzle is somewhat monotonous and normal in terms of flavour (and I suspect u didn't request for yours to be warmed up) but there are some who really love it. This applies to all the stuff that are not refrigerated. They are all things that homebakers can easily come up with but that said, they are all well made and are there for all who crave for them!

    As for the Americano. Hm. I'm a little surprised because I 've learnt so much about coffee from our baristas so I know that they are serious about their stuff. Liberty Speakeasy (the blend used) is a little acidic so that might be why it didn't sit very well with whoever drank it. Whatever the case, I can vouch that the tamping was done properly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @oysterdiaries: hey there! :)
      Perhaps it's too hasty a decision to wave them off as bad, will definitely head back to try their tarts, cheesecake and meringue cake as you've mentioned though. Was one of those days that I travelled so darn far and got this disappointed. Guess c&c could've either suggested that they serve it warmed or taken the liberty to warm it if it tastes better that way..
      Heh, okie...the bar is set by Stranger's Reunion for awesome coffee, so then the comparison.

      Delete
  2. I didn't want to comment at first but seeing how the owner is so defensive about her cafe, I feel inclined to comment here. Totally agree with this blogger. When I was there, service was bad, the server look so sullen it's as if the whole world owes her money. Our hot chocolate as bland, latte weak and don't even get me started on the non existent latte art. Barista? What barista??? They are merely untrained part time students taking up holiday jobs. Desserts were nothing to shout about too. Drips & Windowsill pies make wayyyy better tarts. I would rather walk abit more and go to necessary provisions for awesome coffee, delectable desserts & real food.

    The reason why this cafe gets raves on the internet is because these people are like sheep. They follow blindly whatever they read on the internet. Totally not worth the trip there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there, thanks for reading and commenting.. I have to agree with you on Windowsill making awesome pies though, I was not impressed by Drips however.

      Delete

Post a Comment