Austrian Wine Tasting @ Buyan


Malat Winery is into its 9th generation and fiercely keeping to the Austrian tradition. I joined their complimentary wine tasting last week at Buyan with Michael Malat introducing wines to us. All along my knowledge of wines is terribly limited, for sure I know my chardonays and sauvignons but any further would render me blur. Italian, french and south australian wines are those that I started out being acquainted with then Chilean but Austrian? Complete noob.

glass at the door

Welcome drink at the door. 

chilled

Looking swell for a bubbly night ahead!

cellar

A celler-bration for all drinkers.

It was a really casual event - wine in one and tapas on the other. I am glad I arrived early enough to get a table and look pretty. Buyan serves awesome food - just two items and I was happily stuffing myself silly.

bread rinds

We could not resist helpings of their fried bread rinds - sooooo yummy and sorethroat inducing!

more

Never stop at one bowl. 

fried bread

Khachapuri (flatbread) with Cheese Fillings and Meat Fillings

Both combinations were really good though I favour cheese over beef. Crispy bread served piping hot and peppered with ingredients.

snacks

Pirozhki (with cabbage fillings and meat fillings)

Less stellar since this was on the bland side but honestly, any nibbles are great for a wine tasting. Tasted just like bread with soonkueh fillings

proste!

Malat Gruner Veltliner
Made with austrian grapes, this vibrant number was a favourite since the flavour was more complex with deep notes.

wine
Malat Riesling
Easy to like and drink hence it was popular amongst the ladies. 

Malat Sparkling Wine
Like a champagne, this light number was the reason of celebration for the impending weekend.

DSC_0057

Definitely no connoisseur but this was an experience for sure. While it seemed like a less than polished introduction of his wines, at least I left the event more aware that Austria is another country to consider for wines.

All wines mentioned above are available for purchase at Buyan Restaurant, prices range from $65-85.

Comments