Food Republic Revisited @ Singapore Flyer

This was a convenient option at the Singapore Flyer and since I have not patronized it in a while, I thought it will be nice to take that walk down memory lane once again. Nostalgia always works for me, proven over and over again.

beef

Bedok Beef Kway Tiao

$10 for a plate of beefy cuts – tripe, beefballs, tendon and sliced beef on a bed of pickled vegetables. Nothing too special yet decent. 

popiah

Chinatown Ann Chin Popiah

While they retained their $2 per roll pricing, they failed to capture the same magic that worked for their Chinatown outlet. 

prawn mee

Ang Mo Kio Yong Heng Fried Baby Squid Hokkien Mee

Hardly blown away by their lacklustre dull looking plate of hokkien mee. Undoubtedly fresh prawns used but I felt the pinch forking out 5 buckeroos for this. I’ve certainly had better elsewhere. 

satay beenhoon

Old Airport Road Satay Beehoon and Satay Celup

Possibly the only stall that maintained their standards. Irresistible thick peanut gravy together with a generous amount of pork slices, prawns, bean sprouts and most definitely liver. All else fails and I only take liver in this dish. If I may add, only Old Airport Road’s too. 

bak kut

Sin Ming Road Rong Chen Bak Kut Teh

Watery and hardly the fiery punch bak kut teh pepper soup is supposed to provide, I say this was disappointing too. 

fishball

Top 73+1 Handmade Fishball Noodles

Fishballs like durian fudge cake falls in the same category – I do not like it in the pre-processed form but the variations of the real thing is somewhat acceptable. Hardly do I fancy fish balls – the taste is artificial and too bouncy for comfort. It could be the numerous cases of choking on fish balls that gives me the chills. This was fresh and really large. Fishcakes were decent too and the shellfish was exceptionally tasty.

sauce

Whampoa Ngoh Hiang Prawn Cracker

I love my ngoh hiangs and pink pork rolls..this was not too bad either! The pink sauce was too sweet.

Some call it a tourist trap, I say the attempt to unite the best of hawkers is laudable yet the original stores always shine too brightly to emulate. Visit their main stores to get the real deal, otherwise just brush these aside as mediocre attempts.

Food Republic Revisited at Singapore Flyer

Comments