Summer Palace Revisited @ Regent Hotel

I refuse to strike Summer Palace off the list after a glorious start and a plummet from grace over CNY. Normally, set lunches aren't my thing but I made that exception for Summer Palace...going for tasting menu. I was looking forward to rekindling the love affair with much anticipation and well, these were promised Chef's signatures!

DSC_0044

The same window seat as before...watching people suntan is not exactly the most entertaining activity over lunch..not when the folks in question are not beach babes and hunks calibre.


DSC_0053



Chef Liu's Dimsum Selection

I've heard raves about their dimsum being top notch so I reckon these were three "best ofs" from their limited dimsum menu.

birds nest dumpling

Steamed Prawn Dumpling with Bird's Nest

Presented in what looked like a bamboo cage, the bird's nest did not last beyond ornamental while the dumpling was ordinary at best.


shrimp dumpling with vegetables

Steamed Fresh Prawn Dumpling with Vegetables

Delectable one! The shrimps were so fresh and succulent..fully embodies how good things come in small packages

DSC_0052

Barbequed Pork Bun

DSC_0059

Decent honeyed bun here!


DSC_0062


Braised Bird's Nest with Crabmeat, Winter melon and Dried Scallops


I was grinning widely when the huge bowl was served...great value I thought!

A pricier alternative to shark's fin with everything else tasting the same but it was just different...even with a dash of pepper and vinegar. Psychologically, it was hard to reconcile bird's nest with shark's fin soup and ended up tasting like white fungus soup.

The portions filled me up so much, I started to think it was not such a great value afterall...having struggled to finish the bowl.


DSC_0063



Steamed Fish Fillet with Beancurd and Vegetable in Black Bean Sauce

Clearly reheated in the microwave, oil stains were found from the spluttering sauce and not much attention was paid to cleaning them off. Fish was a tad tough, tofu was ordinary but vegetables were thankfully not overcooked. A dish my Mom could have replicated too easily.

DSC_0066

Stir Fried Rice Vermicilli with Roasted Pork and Preserved Vegetables

Soggy roasted pork with bee hoon, I did not fancy this too much.

DSC_0069

Combination of Dessert

DSC_0071

Lemongrass jelly

Sweeter than the last, this did not serve its refreshing purpose as well as the last.

DSC_0072

Baked Mini Egg Tart

Bland base with an equally lacklustre filling to match, sheer disappointment.

DSC_0074

Steamed Bun with Salted Egg Yolk ($5, 3 pcs)

I had to order this though the set lunch was filling. An overload of all things good caused the downfall of this.

 flowy custard pau

Peeling open the top to unveil the most enticing daffodil coloured filling.

flowww

While the pau texture was done right, the filling was too thick for comfort. It amused me when the manager offered to replace them...would it not be the same batch that I'll be getting? Nonetheless, brownie points for trying.

Summer Palace once again failed to pull off the initial hat trick...not too sure if I should give the benefit of the doubt that these just were not a good showcase of its prowess? Contradicts the purpose of a tasting menu, if you ask me. Until I warrant enough guts for a potentially disappointing dimsum lunch...I'm laying off Summer Palace.

$38++ (5 course set)

Summer Palace
Regent Hotel

Comments