Packages from Kitkat-land!

One attraction of Japan is the number of flavours that Kit Kat has, to tease and please the supposedly fickle tastebuds or interest the growing appetite for "interesting" flavours. For a nation that celebrates flavours like whale ice-cream, its Kit Kat flavours are in comparison...way milder!

These are just a few that I managed to nab or get a friend to bring back for me when he was there! Dang, if only they had a museum for these.


Caramel Pudding

I have to credit the Japanese for 101% closeness when they replicate something, or mildly seeking inspiration. Tearing open the wrapper revealed a sweet milky fragrance. Caramel pudding turned out to be a sweeter version of Kit Kat white. I would expect caramel pudding to be similar to creme brulee, this achieved the creme part thought, ultra milky!

Blueberry

Artificially enhanced.

soda kitkat1

Soda and cola...the fizzy pair!
soda kit kat


Soda

Trust the ingenious Japanese for replicating anything they can lay their hands on. Same goes for soda-flavoured kitkat, right down to the fizzle sizzle on the tongue that soda has. Amazing. Simply white chocolate with a fizz for soda flavoured.

White KitKat JP

White

The same kind of fragrance that hit me upon peeling open the package as the caramel pudding version. Different kind of white as compared to Kit Kat locally. Lighter in taste and wafer's crispier.

DSC_0001

Brown Rice Tea

Holey moley...this wowed. They replicated it down to the tea fragrance. I-M-P-R-E-S-S-I-V-E.

wasabi

Wasabi

With a hint of wasabi, it tasted and smelt faintly of it! The mild biting taste it had....odd.

DSC_0322

Strawberry Cheesecake

DSC_0325


Strawberry flavoured kit kat without the cheesecake at all. Slightly disappointed with this though the fragrance made up for it.

cheesecake kitkat!

Cheesecake

A Yokohama edition, this neither smelt nor tasted like cheesecake. Very light hints of it if any.

soysauce
Soy Sauce

A kyoto edition...I was completely floored. I'd expect a savoury kit kat with soya sauce used but this was a total mind blowing one...tasted just like seasalt caramel! Richly decadent with a mild salty finish (just the way I LOVE my seasalt caramel dessert to be!)...a huge surprise for a Japanese confection if you ask me. Two at one go I had...and if I had lugged back more I'd gladly polish off one entire box per seating! 

green tea kitkat
Green Tea

Smelt and tasted like jasmine green tea with a stronger green tea flavour. It's the kyoto edition, by the way.
green tea sakura

Sakura Green Tea

The brilliance continues with this mild green tea flavoured kitkat with floral hints towards the end. Liking this!

sweet potato kitkat

Sweet Potato

Smelt and definitely looked the part with the deep yellow, this had strong hints of white chocolate though.

 DSC_0131 (2)

Designed like a treasure trove...I wonder if it was designed to coincide with Pirates of Carribean theme.

DSC_0133 (2)

Guiltless pleasures.

DSC_0132 (2)
 
Cheese

This smelt exactly like cheese, smelly and rich the way I like it. However, it was white chocolate until I swallowed it. The yummy cheesey finish that followed closely thereafter, brilliant work Nestle!

almond pudding kitkat

Almond Pudding


Insanity. Modelled so much like the real thing I was mistaken to think it was almond pudding! From the fragrance to the aftertaste..


amazing


The B.E.S.T. of the lot.
I'm beginning to think..nothing is impossible for the Japanese.



Priced at 840 Yen per box, 525 Yen per bag or 138 Yen per packet, these definitely come at a hefty price tag.



Not sure if it's part of Japanese lifestyle to count calories but they seem to focus quite abit on the calorie count on their snacks. These mini bars are slapped on with the 100 calorie stamp.
 

With this final post, it brings this lovely journey to Japan to a wrap. As I look back at the entries, reminisce at the memories that I have of the beautiful country...it's sad that Japan is still in a disarray following the devastating earthquake and nuclear radiation episode...one day, I'll be back to bask in her beauty and continue in the pursuit for awesome food.

Comments

  1. Holey moley... I so want to try the brown rice tea! Hahaha actually Yamakawa Super does bring in the seasonal kitkats very often. I think I have seen all of these flavors there before lolx. All except for the brown rice tea.

    I tell you phoebe.... Yamakawa is SUPER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love all the varieties :) too bad u didn't get the melon and lavender flavours from hokkaido..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find almond pudding a little to sweet, but I totally agree that it tastes like the real thing xD

    I tried 7 different flavours on my previous trip and 3 more recently but looking at your post, it seems like I have more to look forward to xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ ice: lol...it's about being in japan and dragging them back!!! my sis can tell you how my eyes would brighten up when I spied a flavour I didn't have in any shop!

    @ anon: YESSSSS...i was hunting down the melon! they really shd have the ultimate collector's collection of kitkat up for grabs...

    @ oysterdiaries: arent they freakin geniuses!! hahaha i didnt get to try so many other flavours! would be quite fun if I ever have the luck to hunt down ALL the flavours!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Check out this Japanese kit kat blog phoebe. It's cool... & drool.

    http://jenkenskitkatblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. They use the tea from Itohkyuemon 伊藤久右衛門 in Uji (http://www.itohkyuemon.co.jp/item/499.html) for their tea kit kats, quite a famous brand there and their tea is really fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ xinli: wow...i didn't know that!

    @ elaine: *waves* how's YOU doing!! been awhile since I heard from you. :) hahahah i loooove my kitkats!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment