Sushi Dai and more @ Tsukiji Market, Tokyo

DSC_0233 (2)

Tsukiji market was tops in the list of to try in the early days of planning.Even if I had to give up Disneyland or sea (which happened anyway), Tsukiji Market will never be struck off the list. The plan was lofty with every intention to include Tuna Auction. Even with leaving the hotel at 4am and supposedly taking a 15 minute walk to Tsukiji market, we were still late anyhow.

When I thought the market would be dreary at 4am, how wrong was I. People were eating breakfast at that ungodly hour.Not just the regular aunties nor uncles, I am talking about office people.

Be warned not to interfere in the operations of the stall owners else face hostility at best, embarrassment at worse.

DSC_0236 (2)

There is just so much energy and life at Tsukiji market, I berate myself for being so lethargic and half awake.

DSC_0241 (2)

Holysmokes are you kidding me? A queue at 430am? Utter ridiculous if you ask me, but it's Japan for you. Queues are their normal way of life.

DSC_0245 (2)

It took quite a while and several helpful people before we found ourselves on the right track to Sushi Dai. Watching the morning break and unfold itself was therapeutic.

DSC_0254 (2)

Along the way...here's one that's open at 5am trying to do a tourist business, obviously.

If it helps, top 3 names in Tsukiji Market are...in order of netizen's ranking.

DSC_0274 (2)

Daiwa Sushi. Be warned, queues rival that of Sushi Dai..do not be misled to thinking otherwise. 

DSC_0273 (2)

Sushi Dai. A separate queue forms most orderly one shophouse away, be happy not when the queue seems shorter. I joined the queue at an early 530am when their doors open at 5am...with the first batch of customers tucking into the day's fresh catch and another 25 before me. I thought naively, the queue would move quick enough.

DSC_0276 (2)

Sushi Bun, the queue for this starts much later than the first two.

DSC_0264 (2)

Back kitchen of Sushi Dai.

DSC_0283 (2)

One thing I learnt about queueing for Sushi Dai...time passes painfully slow with bone chilling blasts of wind and when the queue barely moves! Half awake and amused with the obviously loved up couple (who started off playing finger games, word games and thank goodness they hadn't started smooching!) in front of me, the feet started to ache barely an hour into the wait.

With every inch it moved, I was a step closer to sushi heaven. So the friend and all the posts online were so true, get ready 3 hours worth. No matter what time you join the queue, 3 hours is suffice. Unless, you can catch a queue number before their doors swing open which roughly works out to 4am?

By the time the sign above gets to you, you are next in line which brought all the unicorns and carebears and sunshine out. Spells h-a-p-p-i-n-e-s-s. I've never been so tortured in a queue before, not even in a grand sale. It was possibly a hell of the weather which made standing worse but I figure queueing for this in summer would have been suicidal.

Two menus up for grabs, unless you choose to go ala carte. 3900 yen it has to be...so be it!

DSC_0287 (2)

A peek of one of the three chefs for the day. I was quivering with delight.

Upon entering, I was treated to a gust of warm wind and a chorussed welcome by the chefs.

DSC_0303 (2)

"Sorry for the wait, holiday season...usually not so long!" The handsome chef quipped.

"Yeah right." I silently muttered. Every living being who's been to Japan had to wait. They busied themselves with the start of a sushi journey.

The chef continued to banter with us, asking us our country of origin and our food preferences if any. Welcomed, could be the very word to describe the service level. The best service to date in superficial Tokyo if you ask me.

DSC_0289 (2)

Never been so delighted with breakfast. I wonder what the telephone number is for if they don't do reservations.

Warm towels to breathe some life into the frozen hands.

DSC_0291 (2)

Mugs of warm green tea to awaken and soothe the sleeping tum. This had a slight bitter and powdery aftertaste.

DSC_0290 (2)

Pickled ginger that is such great accompaniment with sushi.

DSC_0300 (2)

Ah...yes, the usual must have miso soup.

DSC_0301 (2)

Made with fish, bones and all. At this point, Endo Sushi's clam miso soup triumphed.

DSC_0297 (2)

"One bite." We were advised.

There it was, an equally well marbled slab of fatty tuna glistened in the light and was calling out to me. One mouth, and it was heaven. Fatty tuna...I can barely fathom the charm that it exudes. The same way wagyu beef melts away, this was equivalent. Honestly, sushi does taste so very different when eaten in bites and whole. Strange as it may seem, the way the warm rice and cold sashimi interacted, oral pleasure indeed.

I set my mind on this as the final parting already.

DSC_0305 (2)

Scallops dusted with sea salt which did not require any dipping of soysauce. Sweetness ensured.

DSC_0311 (2)

Not exactly sure what this was but it slithered down so readily...I honestly think fresh fish tastes great, regardless.

DSC_0313 (2)

Sea Urchin became my best friend through the meals. The burst of cream that fills the mouth, delightful!

DSC_0316 (2)

The skinnier cousin of fatty tuna, as delicious.

DSC_0320 (2)

The moment the chef released his grip, this baby curled up. I was tickled pink and stared in amazement at its freshness.

Crunchy shell fish this was.

DSC_0325 (2)

By the time this arrived, it more or less signalled the end was coming. Maki rolls stuffed with cucumber and mentaiko. I found it slightly bitter though. If there was one imperfection in the meal, it could be it.

DSC_0330 (2)

The lil bulbs that balanced so delicately on a bed of rice and wrapped snugly with seaweed. Cramming everything into the mouth was oh-my-god delicious. Each popped and out flowed the most delicious combination ever. Rice with roe, simple as it sounds...was ambrosial.

DSC_0331 (2)

Raw prawns, sweet beyond comprehension. Seafood could potentially taste this sweet in all its freshness.

DSC_0334 (2)

The plate of tamago that changed my perception of scrambled egg forever. When I thought the Westerners do it best given it origins...how wrong was I! The Japanese tamago rocks my socks so with the bit of the runnyness and creamy interior...I was sold. The sweet tamago the Japanese eateries here do are miles and continents away from the real stuff.

DSC_0336 (2)

Horse mackerel has a denser bite than the rest...not too huge a fan of the fish in particular.

DSC_0338 (2)

Sweet eel with the sweetness and tender meat wins my vote for sweet finish.

I was sad, when the chef asked my choice for the last piece. It was the end, already. The sushi journey came to a complete halt just as I was getting all comfortable and satisfied and thinking nothing would ruin the happy day.

DSC_0345 (2)

More sea urchin for the company.

DSC_0343 (2)

In true Singaporean style, I picked the expensive fatty tuna priced at 700 yen ala carte. On hindsight, I should have taken the gamble with sperm of a cod sac or scallops even.

To be honest, through the meals in Japan that involved raw fish, they hardly include salmon in it. Only the best cuts and best meats make it to the dining table. Sushi will never be the same again? Possibly so. Three hours again? In a heartbeat. Maybe this time I'll pack a chair and a streaming movie.

Tsukiji Market versus Osaka Fish Market? Both are as charming, Both experiences were mind blowing.

The problem with being in a market is, there's food so readily available, you get tempted by everything that passes your way.

DSC_0581 (2)

Doramon's favourite snack - Doriyaki. The encounter for this was less than happy.

DSC_0582 (2)

The plump pancakes that I've grown accustomed to and prefer this to Mcdonalds hot cakes anytime!



DSC_0587 (2) 

One of the more memorable ones, fluffy pancakes with smooth red bean paste and whole beans. At 150 yen, this was considered cheap. When we all thought it was from the store, the same dorayaki was spotted at Mitsukoshi Departmental Store's Gourmet floor. The same supplier, methinks.

Comments

  1. The sushi look really AWESOME.

    hahaha that particular handsome sushi chef is featured in every Sushi Dai blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ ice: awesome is an understatement. ;p hahahah yes!! he's their poster guy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment