Yung Kee @ Wellington Street, Central

yung kee door

Yung Kee...materialised! It was expectedly packed with tourists and natives.

table setting

Folded napkins replace the old fashioned flower ones.

century egg

皮蛋酸薑

Yet another signature of Yungkee, jellied yolks so slurpworthy...paired with preserved ginger, I say...preserved food never tasted so addictive. It is strange that I'm hooked onto runny century eggs but resist runny eggs. Disclaimer: Only diehard century egg lovers would appreciate the stench and pungent taste of this.

goose platter

金牌燒鵝

The only michelin association I can think of at the mention of Yung Kee is their roast goose.

roast goose

All the days of lemming and drooling were answered with a crispy skinned roast goose. Succulent duck meat...yes, mad crispy skin...yes, lovely crystallized yellow beans...yes...I'm not sure what was missing about this highly raved about goose. It was not as memorable as yesteryears but still delicious.The only poultry I'd indulge in its skin so readily would be roast goose.

I've yet to encounter a better roast goose in Hongkong but friends have been nudging me to try out Yue Kee soon.

seafood soup

海皇羹

King of the sea broth, literally translated. I'm not one to rave about starchy broths, this was decent. Crabmeat, scallops, mushrooms and beancurd...this tasted healthier than it looked.

prawn dish


禮雲子琵琶蝦

Winner of 2001's Hongkong must eats, I was looking forward to it most after the roast goose. Fried till golden brown, I mistook the beancurd skin for salted egg yolk.

prawn

It's simply beancurd skin wrapped around the prawn, or so I thought. I was more interested in the lil fella on top of the prawn, actually.

award winning prawn

Stuffed with a myraid of other vegetables and what seemed like peanut sauce. Tasty and crispy like tempura, I did not find the "award winning" moment unfortunately.

scallops and peas

菜遠帶子

Nothing to fault nor rave about the scallops.

chicken

原粒豆豉雞


Homecooked dish of juicy chicken tenders.

fish

西兰花斑球

Fresh fish filet and crunchy brocolli made this a hot table favourite.

fried rice

揚州炒飯

Not your ordinary yangchow fried rice, pay attention to the rice especially. Grainy yet chewy grains tossed in the traffic light colours of red, green and yellow. I call this the Cantonese drama syndrome...go notice the older dramas especially when they gather everyone at the dining table, the must haves (for colour coordination or for visual impact on tv) are sweet and sour pork, fried egg and vegetables.

The added surprise came with the uber fresh prawns. A real treat for me this whole trip, fresh succulent prawns from dimsum to fried rice. Down with sodium bicarbonate!

red bean soup

紅豆沙

Orange peel red bean soup is very acquired, as I found out. So not a fan.

We made it to the third storey this time round. Hearsay indicates the higher you go, the better the food and service and price too. Did not feel extra special, unfortunately.I satisfied the overdue craving for roast goose and got reunited with the ultra delicious century egg.Will I be racing back soon? Maybe after that visit to Yue Kee first.

Yung Kee
Wellington Street

Comments

  1. Hmm... how did you get the privilege to the 3rd storey? Booked a VIP room?

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha nope, travel agent did the honours for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I died and went to roast goose SKIN & FATS heaven LOL. Drools. So mighty delicious I'm still dreaming of the fats...

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha welcome to the roast goose club!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment