Punggol Nasi Lemak

You know how they always say "If the mountain won't come to Muhammad, Muhammad must go to the mountain"? The great thing about franchises is they bridge the distance between the original and consumer.

I am so not sure where the original Punggol Nasi Lemak is but one thing's sure, they opened one near me so darn long ago, I feel almost guilty it took me so long to introduce this.Dinner crowds filled this place and queues were a permanent fixture whilst the servers were kept busy with verbal orders of the various ingredients.

 ponggol nasi lemak 2

Luncheon Meat ($0.70), Chicken Wing ($1.40), Coconut Rice ($0.70/$1), Ikan Bilis (From $1), French Bean (From $1)


ponggol nasi lemak

Prawn Date ($1.20), Otah ($1.20), Fried Egg ($0.70)

All things fried makeths this array of ingredients that accompany Nasi Lemak, fortunately or unfortunately. The basic composition of Nasi Lemak that I was taught to appreciate included fried ikan billis, fried long bean/french beans, fried egg, fried chicken wing and a dollop of balachan. The rest were just add ons.

Fluffy fragrant rice dominates the meal and I relished every spoonful.

A great pity that the fried items tend to be overfried, for instance the luncheon meat and chicken wing. Fried to such dryness there was barely any "meat" left. Same goes for the tempura prawn that was so thickly coated with batter, it was such sorrow to ruin an otherwise delicate fryup!

If I could, I'd stick with my basic nasi lemak.

Subject to 7% GST.

Punggol Nasi Lemak
238 Tanjong Katong Road

Comments