Cafe Epicurious @ Railway Mall

Out of a whim, I arranged dinner at Cafe Epicurious. Partly to quell the mounting curiosity I had about its parentage to Epicurious Restaurant at Robertson Quay (not that I have attempted either). At 6-ish on a Friday night, it was oddly empty.


Western or Thai picks...


Cafe Epicurious takes up two shop spaces, half dedicated to Western and the other to Thai. Tempting displays of desserts right at the entrance are willed to tease the tastebuds. Within a glance or two, I more or less decided my dessert.


Pink walls! Loved the framed pictures...gave that a weebit of oldschool feel.


More pink..okay, rosey orange...


Porcelain oh-so-grandma-ish...I like!




Curry Chicken wings with herbs ($6.50) that fulfilled the usual pre-meal nibbling. Ordinary at best.


Grilled Boneless Chicken with Mac and Cheese ($16)
Greek Style, Yogurt, Harissa

Chicken with salsa was without a surprise. Mac N Cheese had more cream than the cloying melted calorie-busting mozzarella cheese I was hoping for..decent attempt.



Epicurious Burger ($18)
House made beef patty, caramelised onions, french fries


When a food establishment associates its name to a signature, I would most naturally assume it was the best..though experience with Iggy's Burger had proven otherwise. Approach the burger surreptitiously I did when it was placed on the table...eyeballing it for a good few seconds and checking for the regulars; toasty sesame buns, thick beef patty, caramelised onions, salad and fries. A jab into the burger proved my hypothesis true; yet another failed signature. The patty fell apart into loose meat crumbs, lacking the juice and oomph a meat patty should have. At some points, it was reminiscent of corned beef. Somehow, Cafe Epicurious made Uluru's burgers shine.




Sticky Date Pudding ($6.50)

The waiting time for our mains was a test of patience. I reversed the order and had dessert first instead. Drenched in caramel, the sticky date cake was dry despite being encrusted with plump dates. 

The experience at Cafe Epicurious was predictable, somehow. The same way Cafe iL Lido was less outstanding than iL Lido. I would think Epicurious proper should be more outstanding. Based on that meal, I am not too sure if a return is necessary.

Cafe Epicurious
Railway Mall

Comments

  1. "Within a glance or two, I more or less decided my dessert." "I reversed the order and had dessert first instead."

    LOL. I like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. heh! the greatest pity being the dessert didn't match up to expectations. ;(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment