Uluru Ultimate Burger Challenge

Man vs Food has to be my favourite telly programme on Travel and Living. Adam Richman challenges himself every episode with an eating challenge, ranging from burritos to spicy hot ramen to omelettes...in gargantuan portions. Each time he declares "Food wins" in the last few bites, I'd chide him infront of the telly. What is so difficult anyway? It's just that last few bites left! I decided to undertake the Ultimate Burger Challenge issued by Uluru Steakhouse together with an ambitious sister in tow...1 kg of food in total, $70 bucks at stake. I lived to tell my tale.


Arriving bright and cheery before the sun set...we were determined to make the most of the evening.


Leather bound menus with a really cute logo.


Cosy seemed to be its theme. We were secretly thankful it was not crowded, saved us the embarrassment should we lose.


We were there for one thing and only one thing alone; Ultimate Burger.


Bottles of condiments which I hoped I did not have to touch.


And they had to do this, serve up the hottest lil bun ever with a nostril tickling fragrance to match. Onion herb bun is its heavenly name.


Peel open to a world of pillowy soft fragrance. Crusty on the outside, soft within...I could not help nibbling.



The greatest no-nos.

Time set...ready...get set....goooooooo!

The friendly manager dropped by for a prep chat and I am sure he was amused by our guts. Even the counter bar could not help but tease "$50 if you can finish it!", of which I daringly replied "I'll take it on!"


I had a strategy in mind; salad, beef patties, bread and fries in that order. Yet when the mountain of food came, I lost focus..with the time ticking away, pressure mounted (no matter how cool and sure I looked of completing the challenge) For 25 minutes straight I was chomping like a machine, by the 26th minute and barely half way I knew I was a goner.

The last 5 minutes were perhaps the happiest of the meal, food when eaten in heaps wrecks the taste, the same goes for good food. Smaller quantities preserve the taste.

As far as the memory bank serves me well; it arrived in grandeur both in sight and smell. It had to be be fastened by chopsticks to secure the multitude of layers together. Three thick toasty hamburger breads lathered generously with melted cheese, mayo and a tinge of mustard, three one inch thick beef patties seared to a medium redness, topped with bacon, tons of vegetables and thick mushroom omelettes... for once I wished they weren't so generous! I started off on track by polishing off the vinigarette laden salad swiftly. Minutes ticked when I stared on the first patty and hamburger bun...at this point it was all about shoving everything down the throat rather than relishing it.

Whatever I enjoyed or loved previously became a nuisance now.

By the second patty, things started getting a weebit sick. Chopping up the patty seemed to make things worse with the stomach reacting with a slight churning. Thank goodness for ketchup and chilli sauce that made the grease less repulsive and it was great breaking the monotony of  neverending beef patties. I alternated between the fork and spoon and eating with the hands...which by normal standards the latter would be more appetizing.

The long and short of the 25 minute ordeal, I do not remember much of how the burger tasted but I remembered in detail the agony the eyes-throat-stomach was feeling.



The most worthwhile $70 I paid to stop eating.  All I have of this challenge is a fear for burgers, fries and all things greasy. This is worse than buffet somehow, the food that never ends no matter how much you try to chew. I experienced "don't take more than you can chew", literally. I could have done a dozen other things with $70 but truly, it is an experience to behold, once in a lifetime...never again. It was really one of those moments I was compelled to do it..and I had to.

Sincerely, I salute all food contest winners and especially Mr Adam Richman...you rawk dude!

So there you see above, was what I "doggy packed" home, I almost did not know how to react when the staff opened the option to us. Perhaps the insane amount of food that was consumed made the mind woozy but for the unfamiliar, it means taking away. =p

Honestly, after reheating the burger patty was on the bland side, fries were too salty...if I had the luxury to sit down and devour it at leisure hot off the frying pan, it would have been a great burger.

Uluru Steakhouse
Duxton Hill

Comments

  1. Wah.. a very good try still! I saw anotehr challenge at GoGo Curry to be the fastest eater for the week.. Maybe I should train with that first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is more for an experience than for the free food. You can be proud to tell the world you've gone through the ordeal. (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol... kudos to you for daring to take on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ daniel: good luck!!

    @ ice: definitely, an experience of a lifetime.. ;p

    @ stargirl: *chuckles* if i hesitated somemore, i doubt i'd have the guts to take it on...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment