Tiger-rific 7: Love letters

A rather back dated post...but love letters were amongst the first few goodies I stuffed myself silly with.

The first day of the Tiger Year aka Valentines' Day began with love letters. Corny as it sounds, the love affair with love letters go way back in time.

No, my grandma did not sit on a stool outside the house rolling love letters by the corridor.
No, neither did my Mom do that in my early years.
Yes, I loved unrolling the crunchy love letter by nibbling my way through the roll.

I wonder who coined the term love letters, since when were love letters rolled up before delivery anyway?

Here's the lowdown on the most addictive of the CNY Goodie rampage I'll obviously will be on. Nearly every single stall in sight is selling CNY goodies, the Mom commented. From the noodle stall to fruit stall...to the professionals, everyone wants a share.




Giant

Love letters, $3

The family has been huge fans of Giants' housebrand loveletters for a couple of years, after the initial apprehension of "cheap means no good". So light, you question if love letters really had that many calories.

NTUC
Love letters, $4.90

This was firmer, less flaky and more bite than Giant's.



Deli-Indo
Sesame Egg Crisps, $10, 500gsm

The crunchiest of the lot with the best bite from all the folds. Also the least sweet of the lot, perhaps from the sesame added.



Hang Heung

One of those flaky egg rolls I'd fight tooth and nail for the last piece over. Lard, with all Made In Hongkong delicacies is the magic ingredient. Smoother in taste than the rest, melts in your mouth instantaneously, I found myself scraping the bottom of the tin for more.

Till next year!

Comments