Marutama Ramen @ The Central


Japanese eateries and queues go hand in hand...majority of the time, the queues are an indication of its quality of food. The case for Marutama was lingering queues that put me off time and again. We chanced upon Marutama without a queue for once and without hesitation nabbed the counter seats.

Call me pure weird but seating by the counter completes Japanese dining, somehow. They serve cold water instead of hot green tea, found it strange since drinking cold beverages after food exacerbates indigestion.



7 nuts Ramen with egg ($15)



The Japanese know where to get me, when it comes to eggs. Eggs and runny yolks are never me..yet I caved in for their dafodil coloured semi-runny yolk with tea-egg coloured egg whites. The closest you could get to tea eggs, I say, with a slight sweet tinge!

Handmade noodle consistency, thinner than the usual ramen...reminded me of Fei Fei Wanton Noodle once upon a time. The broth is where the magic all begins, robust and flavourful. I could not help but slurp every drop of it. Hardly do I ever embrace MSG so wholeheartedly but for Marutama, I did. For once, I peppered my ramen with fried garlic and sesame seeds...the fried garlic chips were light on the palette!

And then comes handmade meatballs with a smatter of ingredients within. Lovely!

Marutama Ramen, the queues justify it. Don't bother with the service though. I'll be back!

Marutama Ramen
The Central
#03-90/91

Comments