Zaffraan @ Shanghai Pullman Skyway Hotel



The first breakfast in Shanghai in the Hotel, as much as I'd have preferred local fare. By 6am it is bright and sunny in winter, something which I had to get used to..similarly for the sky turning pitch black by 6pm.



49 storeys up with a bird's eye view of the city.



The familiar that I went straight for. The standard of intercontinental breakfast does vary across countries though it is supposed to be uniform across. Afterall, a fried egg would be pretty much done the same away across all places rather than singchow fried rice?

French toast that was limp.
Bland mushrooms.
Bread that was warned to be "hard" yet I defied that and ended up in the most embarrassing of situations; I had my mouth agape and teeth half sunk into a rock hard bun. Now, laugh away.



The mere sight of a Japanese section brought bright smiles, of which the happiness was really short lived.

Sushi roll that was obviously frozen and thawed.
Sashimi and tamago roll was thankfully edible.

These scared me too much to attempt cold soba.



Thin sugarless soyabean milk which I did not mind too much.



I decided to be more daring since the familiar was such a letdown.

Stir fried cabbage was better off boiled. The spring onion mantou and preserved cabbage bun was slightly greasy and one bite was all I managed. Fried rice in China is different from Singapore's in terms of rice grains. Theirs are like pearl beads, resembling barley seeds and has a chewier and stickier texture...almost like Japanese rice.

With that I could not be bothered with porridge or salad for that matter and headed straight to the baked goods section.



One word: Godsent. I polished them off in such gusto, heck the transfat I say.

Oatmeal muffins so moist and not too sweet, great way to start the day (after all the false starts)
Crumble square..I had so many servings of it. The crumble's finish is so delicious, I was mainly picking at the sugary bits.
Another of my favourite, the banana loaf! In all spongeyness, this one rocked my socks.
Not forgetting the apple danish, delightfully light!



The insane amount of custard in the fried donut, look at the proportion of custard and bun. Impressive how thin the layer of dough is wrapping around the smooth custard.



Told you I enjoyed the crumble square. There was the chewy Jam Croissant that I liked too!



The fruits in season..

Let's just say I did not enjoy breakfast too much and was somewhat disappointed by the standard offered by a 4 star hotel.

Comments