Spruce @ Phoenix Park



Alas, added Spruce to the list of "have tried", after hearing and reading so much about this place. Phoenix Park is located near Orchard, Brunei Embassy...and unfortunately or not, I had a chauffeur with a ghastly sense of direction. Finally being able to locate it was...pure ecstacy. We made reservations but was obviously late for almost 45 minutes..thankfully our indoor table was not given away.



Up the wooden planked path...reminds me of PS.Cafe at Dempsey somehow.


Chalk boards...I find that charming.



A rather limited menu.



Chilli and Ketchup..



The outdoor.



The indoor that was a little to chilly for my liking.



Rotisserie Chicken with Desiree Potato Puree and Sauteed Broccoli ($18)

Tender chicken with a milky potato puree and crunchy broccoli. R adored this more than I did, though I give Spruce props for the juicy chicken.



The European Burger with Blue Cheese, Bacon and Onion Compote ($19)

The moment I spied it on the menu, I knew I had to get it. The portion was good enough for me, and enticing enough for R's straying fork to inch closer to the food gem.



I'll have to declare this THE burger of all that I have attempted so far. I dig my food stacked up, a food fetish perhaps. The toasted fluffy buns hugging the plump beef patty smeared with cheese, rockets, onions and bacon. The bacon is not the usual tough strips but was a meaty slice. It would have been better if the blue cheese was crumblier.



Now, stare at the delicious crimson hue. The beefyness of the burger was maxed out, well ground beef with bite! The juices was well balanced and for once, I had my beef patty in the doneness I so desired. The patty was not overly minced, neither was it bland...well marinated and the best part of it, there was a certain home-cooked-ness about it that sealed the deal. At least I was not reaching for my glass of water..a clear sign that minimal MSG was used.

The magic does not end there...loved the thick cut potato fries.



Purple Velvet ($9)

I could not resist dessert. They were displayed the same way as P.S. Cafe's..in clear glass dome-shaped containers for the hungry and greedy to oogle at. I settled on Purple Velvet, a latest addition. The waiter claimed and confirmed twice it had "no chocolate". The moist cake had a whiff of chocolate in it and I risked a major outbreak for this! The delish orange cheese cream and chopped nuts upped the stakes for this. Loved it and risked it all for this decadence.

Service was decent and the food was more than that. Ambience is perfecto, outdoor for those who do not mind random bug visitors, indoor for those who do not mind the chills. Nay to those who say this place does not wow. I liked the idea of the open concept kitchen, for you to peer and peep at the busy chefs. Free parking coupled with prices friendlier than P.S. Cafe, Spruce sets to convert P.S.' fans. I am one major convert as it is. It is just a pity that the menu is limited but given time I'm sure this gem will sparkle bright!

Reservations are highly recommended.

http://www.spruce.com.sg/

Spruce

Comments