Mooncakes @ Peninsula Hotel, Hongkong

As most would know, I'm a major sucker for seasonals. Mid-Autumn, CNY, Christmas, Dumpling...by July I was already half a stomach in this 1000-calorie affair.

The first encounter with The Peninsula goes back in time to one particular Takashimaya Mid-Autumn Festival Bazaar and I made an attempt on their pint-sized mooncakes. Divine was what I tasted in that wee sized morsel, custard mooncakes. Alas, the price tag was equally divine.

What a better time to travel to Hongkong not just to coincide with the Summer Sale but also Mid-Autumn! Their early bird sales was truly enticing...had G.O.D. not have a pre-purchase I'd have the luck to try out their butt-shaped Wing Wah Mooncakes!

Not to be longwinded but I was willing to just pick them up over the counter BUT the lady I emailed had to throw in "Better to reserve as these get snapped up very quickly and we cannot guarantee stocks." I was sold.

Made a pre-order online to secure these highly demanded babies. The trouble I'm willing to go through for food, crazy sometimes.



Pre-order. Braved a number 3 typhoon warning (alright, no huge deal but...) Flew them back. FINALLY!

The boutique's located on the basement with all the chichi labels, supremely elite place.. it's like Harrods in Hongkong. They've got jars of sweets, chocolates that really tempted the tastebuds...the Japanese enter the boutique to truck off delights in all enthusiasm, I was just thankful I made my pre-order.



A treasure trove.



A piece of The Peninsula. Till I can afford a room there!



All the fancies.



Eight Mini custard mooncakes (HKD 188). Early bird discount of 10%. These are truly mini. Put all eight together, you barely get 1.5 of the regular mooncake. They're half in height as well. Anyway, it's two layers and individually packed in plastic. Something tells me even the plastic used is different (yes it is!), slightly stretchier than usual. Self-fulfilling prophecy at work here?



Custard mooncake, their signature. The outer layer's more like cake, not like the usual brown pastry with a hint of coconut. The delicious orange hue-d filling is creamy and not too sweet, bears a solid custard egg yolk finish. "Melt in your mouth" best describes it. Best served and consumed when left to cool upon taking out from the fridge.

Prestige it's got, all in a mooncake. From the details, taste...packaging, The Peninsula's mastered the works. Definitely not for the die-hard traditionals, I loved every bite. Worth every cent. Now I wish I bought the other selection, half in custard, half in traditional.

I should think they'd be making their presence at Takashimaya once again...Someone, fly them over? Pretty please?

Xin Cuisine from Holiday Inn Atrium does custard mooncakes too...*tempted*

The Peninsula

Comments