Izakaya Nijumaru @ Cuppage Plaza



The gf has patronized this for the last 15 years and is a fortnight regular..so much so the auntie waitress playfully chided her for not calling to make reservations. That speaks volumes and I tagged along on this Japanese encounter. They used to occupy half the floor with sections to accomodate smokers but it is just one shopspace smaller now, but still as large.



The menu although not entirely in Japanese was romanized that means you must at least have some knowledge of Japanese food i.e. Tonkatsu, Nimono...etc. There is not English translation below as like most other Japanese restaurants.



Counter bar seats next to the chef!



The whole place adorned with white paper lanterns.



We started the meal with a yakitori order, grilled mushrooms that sounds and probably looks oh-so-ordinary. These are no pushovers, grilled so fragrantly the mushrooms are well flavoured.



Chicken balls with a side of mustard, reminded me of Tori-QQ somehow.



Asparagus wrapped with bacon, yums!



Potato salad, potatoes mashed and embedded with potato cubes...somehow it just tasted so good.



Four orders of bento sets, we made an attempt on a variety of meats. Each arrived with an appetizer, miso soup and seaweed flavoured rice.



Beef cubes that were slightly tough but otherwise flavourful, loved the sauce!



Braised fish with tofu; I loved this! The fish meat was cooked to the right doneness, sauce was slightly sweet but overall very light on the palette!


The appetizer that tasted like the chinese fungus, not too bad!



Yummy rice that you cannot stop after a mouthful.



Rosu pork!



Tender pork breaded so lightly, fried food that never tasted so guiltless...it has not toppled Tonkichi's crown as yet but pretty good!

$99 for 4 pax, I found it a steal for quality of food even though I reeked of my food stepping out of the place and our order of rice balls was forgotten. I doubt I had the space to accomodate another mouthful either. The service rendered was quite alright though the servers are mostly chinese aunties.

Cuppage Plaza is one corner of Orchard that I have overlooked in all the foodie conquests and I am so regreting I did not discover this food gem earlier, well better late than never! I'm sure at least...no more Sakae from now on!

Izakaya Nijumaru
Cuppage Plaza #02-10/12

Comments