Durian Buffet @ Coffee Lounge, Goodwood Park



Goodwood's architecture always leaves me enthralled, by day and by night. It's one of those hotels that captured history in the architecture. The arches, the hill...leaves much to be admired.

I have to admit going for the dessert buffet was unplanned, utmost spontaneous..exactly like "snap of a finger" let's go kind of decision. Ever sinceI missed the durian buffet last year, the unforgettable logcake last christmas, the fabulous 5..sgdessert informed of the tentative dates the buffet would start...I was quite hyped up for it.

My first dessert buffet but I had my concerns eating all dessert courses as desserts work well as aftermeal sweets for me. The most unfathomable fact? I'm so not a fan of durians, it's almost death by burp and stench. BUT, a fan of goodwood park.

Jokes aside..we were greeted by a polite manager at the door.



The dessert section, tucked away from the Deli Lounge.



These were what we came for! Was hoping I could try durian roll and crepe since I missed out on those.



Rows of petite cakes..



They served half cakes..rather than whole, knowing well the crowd was there just for their durian delights.



Pear Tart

I found the tart on the soft side lacking in crunch. The sweetened pears lacked the desired flavour; a preferable sweet-sour crunchy texture.



Caramel Mousse with Hazelnut Sponge

Delightful layered sweet cake, the hazelnut was not obvious.



Strawberry Mousse

Light sponge with cottony mousse, thankfully it was not soggy, neither was the Strawberry overbearing.



Chocolate Moeleux with Chocolate Sauce

One of the lightest chocolate treats around, the cake tastes dry.



These were what I went for, the durian delights!



Durian nibblers...I couldn't resist lining them up this way.



Coconut and Durian Cake

Still as moist and fragrant as the first attempt, piquant. The coconut shavings gave this light cake an added bite, together with the durian pulp...lightness is the way to go! Perfect for the non hardcore durian eater.



Durian Hazelnut Tartlet

The durian pulp was frozen but otherwise still as good.



Durian Puff

The hot favourite, I got lost in durianland and could only stomach just one of this. Under normal circumstances, I'd have gladly wolfed down at least five!



Durian Mousse Cake

The durian desserts were probably taken from the deep freezer and served, most of which were frozen. See how thick the durian mousse is in this legendary cake, compared to the sponge cake. Their durian logcake seemed to triumph over this..the durian lover concurred too.



Durian Pancake

I certify myself a durian failure. Pungent foods when frozen are definitely bearable...the test comes when it's served hot and the smell diffuses through every air molecule, spreading it far and wide, as far as its feather light feet can bring it. Ok, now I'm making molecules sound alive.

Pungent. A bite of this sent whiffs of stench rushing up my nostrils. Nope I did not retch. The pancake's fluffy, the warm runny durian puree was supposedly deemed divine in all its bittersweetness. One bite was all I could manage, steer clear, non hardcore durian eaters.



Cheesecake

Hmm..too moist, lacking in firmness a dense cheesecake should have.



Pistachio and Chocolate Cake

Normal chocolate cake.




Cassis and Vanilla Gateau

I can't make out this one, sour and soggy, not a fan.



Mango Pudding


Tasted instant..no hint of mango, just curd.



Bread and Butter Pudding


A warm buttery English dessert that I don't overly fancy.



Mango Sago and Pomelo

The mango juice was too thin, pomelo and sago weren't spectacular.



Red Bean

The beans were undercooked but I liked the pairing of orange peel with red bean.

Bubur Chacha

Thick coconut soup with chewy glutinous cubes and sweet potato...yum!



Icecream (Tiramisu/Chocolate Chip/Lemon and Lime)

Tiramisu tasted more like walnut caramel. The Lemon Lime's a favourite, good for digestion and very easy on the palette! There are lime bits within the icecream...lacking in the same starchy consistency as Weis.



Caramel Butter Cake with Assorted Fruits

This certainly did not taste like butter cake! More like fruit cake but a healthier version. Liked this!



Assorted Fruits (Pineapple/Kiwi/Watermelon/Papaya)

For once I was actually thrilled to proceed to the fruits. A burpworthy end to this virgin dessert buffet.

Service is decent, our plates were cleared promptly, glasses refilled. Let's just say...desserts in large quantities tend to kill the appetite quite quickly. Variety was limited, I could head for seconds and thirds even...I'm not sure with a wider variety would I have enjoyed it better. The stars of the buffet are undeniably the King of Fruit...the non-durian desserts did not fare too badly.

Once again, I missed trying Durian crepe and roll from this year's collection. I'll save it for next year...only ala carte.

$19.80++ for the dessert buffet.
$14.80++ with ala carte food.
Till Aug 10.

Coffee Lounge
Goodwood Park

Comments