Kabayan Philippino Restaurant @ Lucky Plaza



I remember vaguely that a particular dessert was mentioned in ST...The initial plan was to head there to try the purple yam paste and leche flan, but I missed it totally! Anyhow, the place bustling with diners.



Works very much like a cai peng stall, you take a tray go through the flow and pick out your dishes..there's a dessert section too..trays and trays of goodies ranging from glutinous rice cakes, cakes, tarts...it was only when I returned much later that they had the yam paste! What a waste!



Ube-Macapuno Cake ($2) is a deep purple yam cake. I went for the unassuming indigo coloured slab of cake. I've never quite seen nor eaten anything of such a shade..the friends jaws dropped when I opened the styrofoam box to unveil the cake. For 2 dollars, it's quite a huge portion...and at first glance, it looks mouldy! First impressions would turn off potentials...and being the game eater I am, I took the plunge. It's basically a dry and dense sponge cake, tasted almost as if no eggs were used. What I adore about this cake is, the yam taste is strong and not empowering, the layer on top's yam paste, almost like a yam fudge cake. Sprinkled with coconut bits, the coconut wasn't apparent in taste however. Another major surprise, it's not sweet and I appreciate that! Unlike their commonly seen colourful Philipino sugar blocks sold in Glory.

My first foray into Philippino dessert...I'm liking it! Yam paste and leche flan next?

Kabayan Philippino Restaurant
Lucky Plaza #03-25

Comments

  1. I have not try Philippino food nor desserts...

    Is this a buffet? seems like a wide selection for one to pick...

    Hmm... Mouldy looking cake, I thought so too, nearly going to screen through the photos until your line...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually same here! Apart from the philippino sweet sugary coconut blocks that Glory sells, I've not tried anything from Philippines yet.

    Nope..not a buffet, it's just a cafeteria and the dessert range is as wide as their main course range, very much like economic rice kinda concept. So you choose your food in a tray (think IKEA) and pay at the exit.

    Heh, it's one of those desserts that scare the living daylights outta you with the looks! They've got caramel cake (huge slab!), yam glutinous rice cake...mostly glutinous rice based or cakes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment