The Patissier @ Ann Siang Hill

On a whim and with an equally huge dessertholic friend in tow, we made our way to The Patissier (TP)over lunch to nab the wildly popular Passionfruit Meringue. I've been told by an eager one how easily sold out these are, over the the lunch hour.

I first encountered The Patissier a number of years back when mousse cakes were the IN thing and TP was all over the news.



I was bent on leaving with at least 2 slices, after the walk under the scorching sun! It was a toss up between Strawberry Cognac and Passionfruit Meringue. The girl over the counter gave little help, "the strawberry cognac has cognac in every bite." when probed if it's potent. The previous adventurous encouter at TP had me attempting Chai (Earl-grey flavoured chocolate with almond sponge and butter cream) and Empress Dowager (Layers of vanilla sponge filled with strawberry mousse and fresh raspberries), and I wasn't sold.

Anyhow, I took the plunge with 2 passionfruit meringues, prefering to go with the flow than take the risk.



Passionfruit Meringue ($6.45)

Frontal and side views of this dessert ranked 13th in ST's Top 50 Yummiest Cakes. Uneven slices I was given, the pastry-light dessert is highly recommended to be consumed within the day and refrigerated. It's described as "meringue sponge filled with passionfruit mousse, fresh mangoes and strawberries." I was totally expecting a dessert with an overladen kind of sweet since it's meringue but pleasantly surprised that it's not that sweet afterall!

One of the air-iest fluffy desserts around, the meringue's only evident on the outer pastry, passionfruit mousse bears more of a custard taste than passionfruit. I adore how the mangoes and strawberries go so well together, not overbearingly fruity. Even the parents loved it.

A major pity it is that by the time I had it, it was slightly soggy..hence reiterating their point over again; it cannot be kept over night, unless you don't mind risking a dessert gone wrong.

I'd say their over counter service is minimal, somewhere in between aloof and distant. For passionfruit meringue, I am sold on TP despite the price!

http://www.thepatissier.com/webtop/

The Patissier
18 Ann Siang Hill
#01-01

Comments

  1. I love the passionfruit meringue too... The selection Patissier offers is different from most patisseries but its odd opening hours and their cakes selling like hot cakes make purchase relatively difficult...

    I still recall I got to resort to reserving 2 slices of cakes and to make things worse, their cakes were so delicate under the hot sun...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you on the opening hours and temperature sensitive cakes they've got! They should have a bistro of some sort for eating in. Passionfruit meringue made me a fan!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment