Chai Chee Minced Meat Noodle @ East Coast Road


Chai Chee Bak Chor Mee's one of those places I can visit week after week and still not get tired of it. They're one of the 24 hour eateries that serve hot piping meals, brilliant for the late nighter. They've undergone a couple of changes; price revisions (the very first time I had their soup noodles 5 years back it cost a whooping 4 buckeroos!), taste changes (somehow the sauce-chilli blend isn't uniform...some days it tastes sooo good, on others it tastes as if the cook was drunk) and portion changes (there was a point in time where the noodles are a measly bunch, nearly half of what I'm getting now...). I stood by them throughout all the changes and here's the latest.

The usual fare I order,

Pork Chop Bak Chor Mee, Dry, Chilli, $3.50/bowl

They've upped the prices from $3..along with the price hike came more noodles and pork chop that's marinated differently and obviously tastes different from how it used to taste. The pork chop's got some herb dusted on it, the meat's more tender than before, I didn't take a fancy to it though. The noodle portion's kinda big for me now, made eating it somewhat tedious because they ended up getting too dry after soaking up the sauce mix they threw in. I still like the chilli-sauce-pork bits mix, possibly the only constant in the sinful bowl! Oh, yes...the crunchy pork lard bits that's a rarity in noodles these days.

Not sure if I still like it as much as before, but one thing's for sure, they'd tweak the taste back in time to come! (I hope)

Chai Chee Minced Meat Noodle
East Coast Road (Next to Macau Cafe)

Comments