Out Of The Pan @ Raffles City


Tea highly attracts me, because I avoid the lunch crowd and I get my food much faster. :P AND...you really get to soak in the ambience of the place without much fuss; having the waiters watch you intently and their non-verbal language basically screaming "get out, next seating!".

Out Of The Pan's been at Raffles City for the longest time ever, even before all the renovations and extensions of the new wings were done. I've been there for lunches before...earning itself the name "crepe place". Their savoury crepes don't appeal to me that much, decided to give their sweet ones a go this time!

I managed to get a good seat (such good luck!) by the fountain, watching the water splash up and down...with the open kitchen a stone's throw away, sun rays shining down on you...pretty addictive way of spending an afternoon.

Ordered just one dessert; Caramelized apples and custard with rum and raisin ice-cream. ($12) The portion was just nice for two. Presentation was pleasing, like a piece of artwork.
And, the beautiful part kinda ended there. It certainly looks better than it tastes. The apples were bitter for a start, the generous servings of apples kinda made it worse with every bite. Rum and raisin ice-cream? I couldn't taste much of the rum or raisin, or even both. The only saving grace, the paper thin crepe went really well with the custard. At 12 dollars, it is pricey and not at all worth it.

Rather disappointed I must add. Not sure if I'd be back for any of the savoury ones. Yes, it's one of those places where you really pay for ambience not food.

Out Of The Pan
Raffles City Basement

Comments