Chin Chin @ Purvis

Dialect cuisines have been popular all along...lemme see and do a stocktake of what I'm familiar with.. Cantonese soups and dimsum...Hakka soon kuehs and yam glutinous balls...Heng hwa soupy noodles...Teochew porridge...Hokkien Mee...

And Hainanese chicken rice and pork chops! I'm not a huge fan of Chicken Rice..to be honest. Chin Chin's one of my favourite eating hangouts because of the really affordable food prices, generous servings and no GST! I've been heading there since I was a teen...and am still going back after all these years for my regular fixes of pork chops.


Laminated menus...are pretty synonymous with Chinese eating places..

The cutlery says alot about the place...that's what I think at least. The usual steel cutlery and plastic chopsticks..

What's hainanese food without good ole garlic, black sauce and chilli?

My usual of aloe vera...though it's pre-packed...

First up...sweet and sour fish. Being cantonese means sweet and sour pork is a preferred choice but honestly, I'd opt for the fish anytime..at least the meat can be tasted! Pork normally means it's fat and tons of batter. This was crispy to a crunch, a delightful addition to any meal.

Their signature chap chye, liked this. Wasn't too soggy, neither was it too salty.

Another signature dish...Hainanese Chicken...or we call it "bak zan kai"..white chopped chicken, loosely translated. I didn't fancy this hugely...with the premise that I'm not a huge chicken rice fan. The parents loved it though, we ended up with two portions!

Yes, another of chin chin's signature...pork chops!! Generous servings of sliced pork chops doused in tomato sauce with steamed peas and potato wedges. The wedges are unlike those we find at fast food joints..unsalted they are. Super yummy, this is one such dish whose taste hardly changes since the first bite. The thing about "declining marginal utility" does not apply to this...I can eat this forever. :P

Stir fried beef with bitter gourd. Nothing to scream about...

And a bill for 5! It's not even 50 buckeroos.

What makes this so attractive...tradition I say. Handwritten menus...someone sitting at the cashier (not sure if the abacus is being used!), swirling fans...and most importantly, food that isn't fusion, food at it's best.

Chin Chin Eating House
Purvis Street (A street away from Raffles Hotel)

Comments