1-twenty-six @ Playground



Photos taken off asiaone

Chilling's one of my favourite past-times...complete with good ole music of the past (sounds like blast from the past), perfect company and well, nice nibbles to go with the awesome drinks...That, will be an ideal way to spend a Friday or Saturday night.

1 Twenty-six caught my attention when I was heading to Playground for Carl's Junior's Beef Chilli Cheese Fries...made the diversion and ended up at this uber cool place -- 1 Twenty-Six. Reminds me of Villa Bali near Alexandra. Full marks for ambience, what makes this just right for chilling is...the sea just a stone's throw away and it's the only bar within the vicinity. Come to think of it...in the East itself, there's hardly any bar that's iconic...Think One Rochester (I've not been there though) or...Dempsey (Getting way too overcrowded with bars/dessert places mushrooming all over the place)

Headed there twice this weekend, Friday and Saturday. Friday night seemed better though, music was of my era...:P None too cheesy or...heavy on the ears. Did my lil research on this place, from the folks who brought us One Rochester gastro bar.

On both nights, I had drinks only...Here's what I tried over two nights...

Faithfully Yours
Bailey's, crème de menthe, Oreo & homemade vanilla ice cream.

A very yummy description indeed, due to poor lighting I didn't manage to grab a shot of it. Under the category of "signature drinks"...it was served way after my company's asahi was. Shouldn't drinks be served together? Anyway it came in a tall glass, blended...reminded me of Dairy Farm's ice-cream that they serve by tilting the whole cup over ensuring the contents don't topple out. I liked the crunchy oreo served with it best. The rest of it was...bland. Not a trace of alcohol...somewhat disappointing. Don't think I finished the drink.

Mulled Christmas Cosmopolitan
(As far as the memory can bring me!) Raspberry with your usual cosmo mix

Anyway, was enticed by the raspberries and oh-so-good description once again. I've gotta admit I'm not such a martini person..the only exceptions being Morton's and Jewel Box's martinis. As with most cosmos looking like cough syrups, this tasted pretty bad as well.

Took a sip of Lychee Martini too...utter disappointment.

Oh, drinks come with a complimentary anchovies mix, loved it muchly. It's got that spicy twang that goes really well with (in this case, bad) drinks. Service is acceptable...the downside of being in a cosy corner makes it difficult for you to get the attention of waiters.

Yes, in their ways "a chic getaway"..but I'm not a huge fan of their drinks. Food maybe, next time?

www.1-twentysix.com
The previous Big Splash
Opposite Carl's Junior

Comments