MO Bar @ Mandarin Oriental Landmark, Hong Kong

DSC_0073

It always amazes me how long the waiting list or advanced notice I need to give for a weekday hightea session in Hongkong. For MO Bar, we booked at least two weeks in advance and thanks to a relative infact, we managed to secure a table for two. I would have preferred a themed hightea as they did with previous high fashion tie ups to the likes of Jimmy Choo at some point! Pity by the time I made it there, it was just ordinary tea sets.

DSC_0046

I seem to have a penchant for dark coloured linen.

DSC_0047

Even these sugar sticks were photogenic.

DSC_0048

The bar counter that was ooooh-worthy! The way the bottles were stacked were ingenious, as much as it was just a backdrop.

DSC_0049

What is high tea without a teapot full?

DSC_0051

Lemon grass and ginger was my pick for the day, light and absolutely fragrant.

DSC_0053

It took a while before the tiers were set up on a metal structure, tall enough to be noticed from the doorway. A tier of savoury and sweet each.

DSC_0054

Parmesan cheese and raisin scones served with clotted cream and fruit preserve jars. While these were great tea must haves, I thought it was a tad dry and still miles off from Clipper Lounge's signatures.

DSC_0063

One bite delight.

DSC_0056

The savoury layer usually gets my vote of interest since it's just one layer and most tea sets usually come with a single layer dedicated to savoury. I was glad to find that other than sandwiches, there were other petites too.

DSC_0057


Alongside their reinterpretation of sandwiches are savoury shooters of avocado and crab. My take on shooters still stands - hardly impressive.

DSC_0069

Smoked salmon roll with winter vegetables & salmon eggs, a delectable one.

DSC_0068

I suppose nothing usually goes wrong with egg mayo in this very complicated item described as Chicken milk bun with egg mimosa.

DSC_0067


Mini teriyaki beef burger, a slider done so good, I would have ordered the mains version too! Loved the onion jam and the patty that was actually juicy inspite of its size!

DSC_0059 

I learnt it the hard way at Anti:dote's, I made sure I took a bite of sweet and then savoury to alternate between the two to have more balance.

DSC_0070

Macarons in a high tea set never fail to put a smile on my face. Once again letdown by a shooter - opalys cremeux & blueberry coulis in essence was something like blue berry yogurt.

DSC_0072

A exotic tart with mango & coconut bavarois  that bore some surprise within, a fresh mango!

DSC_0071

A chestnut and black currant macaron that was too crisp for comfort, the shells lacked bite.

DSC_0074 

I exited the polished doors of MO Bar less than satisfied, it probably was a place to see and be seen but the food had little to rave about.

HKD 458++/Pax

MO Bar
Mandarin Oriental Landmark 

Comments