Ariston Bakery @ Athens

arizon

I am always game for a city's oldest bakery, cafe and the list drags on...and Ariston is no stranger to the Greeks. Some claim it has the best tiropita in the city, hands down, since 1910.

counter

Tiropitas are greek layered pastry food and filled with all sorts of ingredients. Ariston has at least 20 differnt types of tiropitas, sweet and savoury.

Imagine the joy and confusion of standing infront of the glass counters thinking what to order when there is a thought at the back of my head going - ALL of them.


noms

Spinach and feta cheese can never quite go wrong in the land of feta cheese, especially.

noms

I wilfully went for the double cheese pie and unlike the rest, this had a doughy texture.

noms

The melted cheese within was filled with pungence in every bite. At some point this tasted a tad overload.

noms

I must have forgotten what this was - a mix of potatoes and bacon.

noms

The heaviest weight of all - hamburger.

nom


A full patty within the flaky layers. I was not such a huge fan of this but I suppose this was time before the patty and bun era began.

pies

The great thing about these old school pastries is they are barely oily and terribly flaky. I love hearing the crunch as I bit into them. However, these are not gourmet pies, just a trip down memory lane as if I were Greek.  

They all came at a standard price of less than 2 Euros each, if memory serves me right. 

Ariston Bakery
Voulis 10, Syntagma

Comments