CNY 2018: Blue Lotus Chinese Eating House @ Quayside Isle

DSC_9671




Booking for reunion is tricky business, we did not want the crowds, nor compromise on food quality. Somehow we still ended up at Blue Lotus with a  pre booking and pre payment made to secure our table for the first seating and even at 6pm we were considered horribly late. The restaurant was almost at full capacity and the waiting staff were clearly over stretched with their duties.


We were clearly off to a rough start when there was a hiccup between the actual order logged in and assuming the order would be keyed in given that I have already paid a deposit. Dinner took a grand total of an hour and several frustrated faces before we saw any glimpse of food.

DSC_9789
Crispy Fried Salmon Skin coated with Salted Egg Yolk and Lime Zest ($16)


Save for salted egg pineapple tarts, I've not stocked up any salted egg snacks this CNY and this order turned all my diet plans upside down. So sinfully good, I lost count how many walks I have to take to burn all those calories.


The generous coat of salted egg yolk made sucha delicious appetizer, I wish they sold this in tubs!

DSC_9782
Crispy Fried Kurobuta Minced Pork and Basil Leaf Spring Roll ($18)


These are no ordinary spring rolls, beyond the incredibly crispy exterior lies a toothsome stuffing of minced pork and basil leaf. Some chilli padi would have turned up the heat and made this perfect - I'm not complaining since these meat rolls are arguably the best I've had in a while.

DSC_9794
Sweet and Sour Pork with Lychee ($30)


My favourite sweet and sour pork with an addition of lychees to sweeten things further. The family had a debate over their canned or fresh origins, my take is - as long as they taste good, I don't really bother!
DSC_9791

Roasted Australian Baby Lamb Short Ribs with Five-Spice ($34)


A tad gamey, these tasty short ribs in five spice hit the spot for me.



DSC_9796




Braised Marble Goby with Shiitake Mushrooms and Roast Pork in Claypot ($48)

The only dish that was a letdown, the fish was bland which neither the mushrooms nor roast pork could save.

DSC_9783

X.O. Prawns ($24)



Asparagus and prawns never go wrong for me, I loved the wok hei here!


DSC_9793


Garlic Fried Brown Rice with Egg White and Assorted Mushrooms ($24)



No visit to Blue Lotus Chinese Eating House is complete without their crabs (damn, I missed them this time) and garlic fried brown rice. Doesn't look like much and who'd ever think with just egg white and mushrooms, fried rice paradise was even achievable.


Coconut Pudding with Gula Melaka ($12)


DSC_9805
Plenty of work went into this dessert served in a coconut, it's strange how amazing gula Melaka and coconut taste together!


Aside from the wait and immensely courteous staff, the kitchen lived up to expectations and served up a decent reunion dinner out of their festive cny menus. Kudos and I'd be back!




Blue Lotus Chinese Eating House
31 Ocean Way #01-13
Quayside Isle S098375

Comments