La Barca Revisited @ Goodman Arts Center

After our first visit, I made a note to return to check out the rest of their brunch menu. It was reasonably filled with toddlers and families - it's a kid's friendly place that's why! I appreciate it more for the tranquill environment, a major irony since it is kid's friendly - I suppose I was in luck that day since there were hardly any bawling kids.

This entry was made across two visits between 2015 and 2016. 

burger 

Italian Hamburger, with Fried Eggs Topped with Parma Ham, Burrata Cheese, Tomato, Roasted Potato Wedges ($22)

The pork patty was a surprise in itself, I expect somehow that burgers would be served with beef patties. Juicy and tender, I was for that nanosecond sold on pork burgers already. The ton of ingredients that came with the burger convinced me that burgers should not only be served with fries for the full hearty factor - looks like the Italians have mastered it with burrata cheese and parma ham too!


pasta 

Rigatoni with Pork Rib Ragu ($24)

While pasta is not their forte, this was a decent attempt on rigatoni with a homecooked version of pork rib ragu. I would appreciate if the dish was served piping hot though.

DSC_0344

Spaghetti Alio Olio E Fruitti De Mare ($22)
Seafood, Olive Oil

I call it amnesia but we still went ahead with their pasta dish despite its not so stellar performance before. A  request was made for "no prawns" and it still came with it anyhow, after forever. Bland soggy spaghetti noodles with rubbery seafood. If a noob cook were at it, there would have been his best attempt I suppose.

DSC_0339

Pizza Con Salsiccia Piccante Fatta in Casa ($22)
Tomato, Mozarella, Homemade Spicy Pork Sausage

The pizza was truly marginally better with that homemade spicy pork sausage, otherwise the batter had nothing to shout about.

DSC_0342

Fries ($5)

A rip off at $5. Even Ronald Mcdonalds himself would have been pissed.

DSC_0343

Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice ($8)

If it weren't for the scorching hot weather, I would have balked at the price tag and stuck to iced water.

How authentic and "Italian" is this place, I have yet to taste anything that screams otherwise at brunch. Mediocre fare, so just drop that italian cuisine perhaps? Cafe Melba, would be the other better alternative around the corner.

La Barca 
90 Goodman Rd, #01-21 Block C, Goodman Arts Centre

Comments