Cupcake Fetish

Cupcakes came and went a couple of years back, just like bubble tea. Not that this chapter has taken off yet again. I combed the island for these little things with swirls of cream and sized just perfect for tea. Unlike bubble tea, these things called cupcakes have long won a softspot in my heart - marmalade pantry, being on of the earliest invaders. Limonata always remains close to the heart for my kind of sunshine cupcake - one that lifts the appetite and mood!

So that being said, I had to head back to Marmalade Pantry to see if standard is the same.

Marmalade Pantry, Ion Orchard

Visited when Marmade In the City was still known as Marmalade Pantry.

marmalade pantry

I have not been back at MP for quite awhile after the string of inconsistencies. Was there initially for their high tea sets which I came to realise they are only valid on weekdays. Dang!

granny smith

Granny's Apple ($4.20)
Spiced apple and cinnamon cake with cream cheese

I remember trying this before and thinking this was not a great deal. Once again a disappointment - way too dry! Loved the frosting though.

geisha

Geisha ($4.20)
Buttermilk and pandan cupcake with greentea and coconut frosting

geisha sliced

Yet another bummer with dry cupcake and awesome frosting. Finger licking good. Overall the cupcake was alright just that the cake when eaten alone was dry.

limonata

Limonata ($4.20)
Tart lemon glazed cake

I wish I could say my all time favourite managed to pull it off yet again but it was not the case - significantly dry-er this attempt. I wonder if all is lost with these previously to-die-for comfort cupcakes. The only thing consistent? Their consistently bad cupcakes. Frosting rocks, most unfortunately.

It takes alot for me to switch camps and sadly, Marmalade Pantry has lost its case.

IMG_2007

Whips, Icon Village

This little shop has been open for quite some time now, judging from the quick turnover rate of tenants at ICON Village...Whips must have something good to stay. They have minis and regular sized cupcakes for takeaway and ordering.

Attempted Apple Crumble, $3.50 (above) and Red Velvet. While the crumble toppings were delectable, the cake itself was dry. Same goes for the red velvet - too dry! Frosting was good though. I wonder how the minis would taste if the larger ones are already dry.

Twelve Cupcakes, United Square

Opened by celebrity duo - Jaime Teo and Daniel Ong, this shop has been gaining much buzz. They have been selling out on their cuppies daily and I headed down to suss out the fuss. With daily shoutouts of special flavours like Lychee, Cherry Chocolate or even Lemon, they keep the interest up. Specials go for a pop of $3.50 whilst all other regular flavours are $3. There are package prices for six and above.

twelve cupcakes

Boxes are available for 3 pieces, otherwise, you get them in individual cups like mine! Just to sidetrack, their pink boxes are....sooo girly!

No Jaime nor Daniel in sight when I popped by, instead they've gone all cute and energetic with a young server - all smiles and friendly.

strawberry

Strawberry Vanilla over Rainbow Vanilla that was described as "plain and simple". It smelt so sweet upon unveiling the cupcake lid. Cupcake was soft but slightly dry but frosting was delicious. Strawberry purree infused frosting with white chocolate shavings.

choco

Chocolate chocolate over PB chocolate for the "ultimate chocolate lover". Same consistency repeated, soft but dry.

I would not deem these as to-die-for, yet good enough for that afternoon tea fix. Their cupcakes are mostly chocolate cake based so limiting my options gravely.


Cedele Depot

boxed

Lemongrass Pistachio Cupcake ($3.80)

Being on a cupcake  rampage craze fetish is, everytime I spot one...I'm tempted to eat it. Cedele Depot had the most beautiful row of cupcakes sitting prettily in a row - ready to be bought! I zoomed in on the non-chocolate one - yes just one flavour. Lemongrass Pistachio - reads like a poem, and images of the most lushious delicious tasting cupcake comes to mind.

nomnoms

And comes to a screeching halt when I took my first bite.

pistachio cupcake

Lemongrass infused frosting is acquired. More than unusual, it has a knack of turning the appetite off. As bad as it sounds. Together with barely crunchy pistachios...I can barely bring myself to finish the frosting - aren't all frostings supposed to be like icing on the cake, the most amazing part of the cake? This one was horrific. The cake itself even without fanciful flavours tasted ohmygod good.

All these took place after the first scare of the Golden Pumpkin Roll. As I munched the roll and checked the website on the specific name of my roll, I swear I am a sucker and magnet for great sounding-poor tasting food. "Sugarless and Eggless. An unusual sandwich/snack bread." Enough of UNUSUAL!?  Ok, here's it. Dense chewy tasteless bread but it was hearty with the sunflower seeds.

I usually am a huge fan of Cedele, well their cakes. Note to self with neon yellow and green headlights blinking: Please please please remember not to attempt anything beyond their cakes and icecreams. Oh wait, their sandwiches are actually quite good. Ok, just avoid the gourmet bread.

Comments

  1. I'm not usually big on muffins but I love Cedele's muffins. Their blueberry crumble, 2-berry & orange cranberry muffins are my all-time favorites. They're very moist & jam-packed with fruits & nuts. Especially love the blueberries & walnut streusel! Have you tried their muffins phoebe? Don't think much of their Cloud 9 ice creams though.

    Love MP's limonata cupcake! The lemon frosting is yums! Cloud Nine too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have...haha..i looooove the salted caramel icecream! MP....have yet to return after the disappointments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I just tried Plain Vanilla Bakery's cupcakes! Yummsss! The cupcake base is really very light, fluffy and moist, not dry at all. Mega ♥ the Strawberry White Chocolate! Love the frosting loads. Go try Phoebe! hehe I'm in a cupcake frenzy now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah saw ur fb photos...will try if distance permits. haa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment